Advice injecting antibiotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker, first post.

I have trouble giving a juvenile diamond python (10mth) his shots. It is the first of many to be given over the next 2 weeks.

The beautiful staff at unusual pet vet showed me and gave me instructions however i goofed the first shot today.

I feel i did not push the needle in under the skin enough as the medicine came out as i plunged.

Also i feel like im too gentle i dont want to hurt him. Even though the vet ensured me the little guy is unbelievably tough and resilient!!

Has anyone on the forums had experience similar if and when injecting for the first time?
And any pointers / tips that may help me with subcutaneous shots please?.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Get a short piece of clear plastic (acrylic tube), just a little wider ID than the girth of the python, drill a small hole where you plan to do the injections (that will correspond to somewhere on the snake's back) that the needle can be guided through.

Injecting - simply encourage the python the sliver into the tube , place a plug at the nose end to stop it from slivering out , the snake wont be able to curl back around on it self (can they sliver backwards ?) , inject , then remove the plug the python can be returned to it's enclosure very easily direct form the tube.

I saw this done with a very frisky boa on that pommie "SuperVet" tv show so cant claim it's my invention or idea.

Get a short piece of clear plastic (acrylic tube), just a little wider ID than the girth of the python, drill a small hole where you plan to do the injections (that will correspond to somewhere on the snake's back) that the needle can be guided through.

Injecting - simply encourage the python the sliver into the tube , place a plug at the nose end to stop it from slivering out , the snake wont be able to curl back around on it self (can they sliver backwards ?) , inject , then remove the plug the python can be returned to it's enclosure very easily direct form the tube.

I saw this done with a very frisky boa on that pommie "SuperVet" tv show so cant claim it's my invention or idea.
Great sugestion i have some piping similar size, i will try this method. Its good as i live alone and as the kids have moved out i have no spare hands.

I dont why, but i find injecting horrendously difficult. Maybe due to my own fear of hypodermic needles.

Thankyou very much for responding to my post.

B.J.

I hate injecting reptiles too , I have from time to time had rescues that needed antibiotics injections and the vet nurse made it look easy - it's not !

The main tricks are immobilizing the reptile , getting the pointy end of the needle to go between a couple of scales ( very hard to push a needle through a reptile's scales and too easy to push the needle in too far when it suddenly goes through ) and going in an angle helps I think (less chance of impaling the reptile with needle).

I hate injecting reptiles too , I have from time to time had rescues that needed antibiotics injections and the vet nurse made it look easy - it's not !

The main tricks are immobilizing the reptile , getting the pointy end of the needle to go between a couple of scales ( very hard to push a needle through a reptile's scales and too easy to push the needle in too far when it suddenly goes through ) and going in an angle helps I think (less chance of impaling the reptile with needle).
Thanks for your reply.
Exactly as you stated Veterinary nurse did it one handed, lookd like a breeze. I on the otherhand .. meh 2 left hands. !

Your tip re, angle is crucial thanks.

B.J.

Hi BrettJ
I had to give my adult coastal an injection every 3 days for 2 weeks due to RI . I was lucky to have a friend who is a vet nurse and she administered the Fortum and i restrained the snake by puting it in a pillow case and just exposing the area were the needle had to go. They do seem to have rather tough skin , and my advice would be get someone else to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back