Set up for new Centralian

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightMiner

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just rejoined, info got lost in the ether apparently, as after 8 years of looking after my little Spotted Python, and 4 years of Dad having a Darwin, I've decided to get another snake - this time a Centralian :)

Ended up buying a Reptile One 1200x600x600 enclosure, since what dad and I were thinking of in terms of construction (along with time investment) seemed like it'd kinda end up as a close match, and been working to establish a temp gradient via a 100watt Infra globe. During the day yesterday it was pretty much exactly where I wanted it, with the probe point at around half way being 28c and 30c under the lamp itself. But during the night it dropped to around 25 and it's still only climbing back to 26 right now (11am local), so just wondering would I pry do better with a 150watt or maybe some light plywood over the mesh so it loses less heat?

Last edited:
centralian pythons come from one of the hottest parts of Australia ( Alice Springs ) where summer temps are often in mid-30-40s and winter temps are around the 5-20 mark, Id recommend getting a slightly stronger heat source, around 125w should do, or 150w with a thermostat (which you should have anyway)

Edit: if its a branch or something, you could probably move that close to the globe

centralian pythons come from one of the hottest parts of Australia ( Alice Springs ) where summer temps are often in mid-30-40s and winter temps are around the 5-20 mark, Id recommend getting a slightly stronger heat source, around 125w should do, or 150w with a thermostat (which you should have anyway)
I thought so, just taking too long for it to regain heat after the understandable night time drop (now midday and the spot I want at around 28 is still only 27). Do have a thermostat, picked up with the bulb yesterday.

Edit: Hot spot under the lamp is a very warm 38 or so but it's not spreading as well to the rest of the enclosure - warm side 28, hot spot 38, mid 27, cool wall 25.

Last edited:
I thought so, just taking too long for it to regain heat after the understandable night time drop (now midday and the spot I want at around 28 is still only 27). Do have a thermostat, picked up with the bulb yesterday.

Edit: Hot spot under the lamp is a very warm 38 or so but it's not spreading as well to the rest of the enclosure - warm side 28, hot spot 38, mid 27, cool wall 25.
mate, 1-2 degree difference for any part of the enclosure is 100% fine ;p

I know I need that gradient, just worried about if it's too cold overall.

testing.jpg
Currently as bare bones as it is because the Centralian is a hatchling and will be living in a clickclak inside the vivarium.

If you have a hot spot 30+ degrees to bask, and a cool spot of indoor temps (lets say 26-30) it will be fine

If it's predominantly mesh at the top you will struggle to get a good gradient, the heat escapes too fast. I'm sure Reptile One has shares in electricity supply companies. I've completely covered the top and just have vents bottom left and top right. 100w globe gets me a 35c spot on a low branch under the light, 28c in the centre and 25c at the cool end. Takes about an hour to get back up to temp. after dropping about 8 degrees overnight. My suggestion is cover that mesh and see how you go.

If it's predominantly mesh at the top you will struggle to get a good gradient, the heat escapes too fast. I'm sure Reptile One has shares in electricity supply companies. I've completely covered the top and just have vents bottom left and top right. 100w globe gets me a 35c spot on a low branch under the light, 28c in the centre and 25c at the cool end. Takes about an hour to get back up to temp. after dropping about 8 degrees overnight. My suggestion is cover that mesh and see how you go.
That was my reaction when I saw it at the store I have to say - what did you cover the mesh with?

I cut a piece of 12mm melamine to completely cover the top of the recessed area. Just had to cut holes for the cables to pass through. I already had some wood which was a very dark brown so you can hardly tell. That ended up with the 150w globe being changed to a 100w to get the best temps. I will check how the temps. are going when the cooler months start.

I cut a piece of 12mm melamine to completely cover the top of the recessed area. Just had to cut holes for the cables to pass through. I already had some wood which was a very dark brown so you can hardly tell. That ended up with the 150w globe being changed to a 100w to get the best temps. I will check how the temps. are going when the cooler months start.
Cheers :) I'll see about something along those lines.
[doublepost=1550379488,1550377952][/doublepost]minor_hassle.jpg

Definitely way too much space to be left open. Pry have to cut something to rest right on top of them rather than over the top of the whole box.
[doublepost=1550737683][/doublepost]Well, here's the jerry rig solution dad came up with and instructed my building of (yeah, definitely feel like a twit for buying a pre-made box but felt worried on time and thought it'd take longer to knock together and be around the same price - oh well live and learn).

Will definitely be doing some more to it in future (ie some sanding and painting) but yeah basic solution is there. jerry_rig_solution.jpg it_fits.jpg different_angle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back