Lizard ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I just got given for free an 60 cm tall, 45 cm wide and 45 long enclosure, I was wondering what l

• Dragons

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Geckos

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Skinks

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Goanna

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah gannon

Reaction score
So I just got given for free an 60 cm tall, 45 cm wide and 45 long enclosure, I was wondering what lizards in adult size could live and thrive comfortably in that enclosure

Depends on what you want, and what experience you have, but i'll list some of the possibilities:

Any small skinks would do, though you would want something that uses the space. Something like the egernia/liopholis genus would be good in small numbers (1-3 depending on size), or pink tongued skinks. You could put in sandswimmers, ctenotus or any of the nocturnal liopholis species but they won't use the space as effectively.

I don't have any dragon experience but you could probably put a pygmy beardie, or a jacky dragon. The small length wouldn't really suit any other dragons as they need lots of space.

In terms of monitors, it could potentially fit a single small monitor like a storr's or caudolineatus but again, they like space so it's not optimal.

IMO the enclosure would be most suited for geckos - it could fit most if not all geckos barring multiple Nephrurus amyae/asper/sheai which from what I have heard like long enclosures. If you're new to geckos i would recommend any of the diplodactylus/lucasium genus barring fat-tailed geckos, the smooth nephrurus species (also bandeds and thicktails), and any of the Oedura/Strophurus species as well. I would stay away from leaftails, chameleon geckos, Oedura filicipoda, ringtailed geckos and cave geckos due to their more advanced care.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

This size and shape enclosure is suited to small, climbing lizards. While you could keep say a pair of Knob-tailed geckos, being terrestrial only, the height of the enclosure would be totally wasted. A fake-rock wall backing and maybe sides with ledges and crevices, or appropriate braches or vegetation will allow climbing species to make use of this space.

Climbing geckos offer the widest choice - Strophurus, Odeura, Amalosia, Nebulifera, Saltuarius, Phyllurus and even maybe Cyrtodactylus. From the skinks you could choose small Egernia such as the Pygmy Spiny-tailed, Rock or Tree Skinks, or rock-dwelling Liopholis species, but nothing bigger. Like it is not large enough for an adult Pink-tongued. In terms of monitors even the Pygmy Mulga and Stripe-tailed really need more space, while the Short-tailed Pygmy is, of course, a burrower. Forget the Pygopods but there are a few possibilities amongst the dragons. Mountain Dragon, Jacky or Burn’s and Western Bearded would be OK if suitably furnished. It could also be used for a Southern Angle-headed or two, if you know what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back