Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baileynait

Reaction score
my lizard was chasing after a cricket 5 days ago and the cricket hid on the side of my blue tongue when he launched for it he caught his leg instead. After I looked at it and seen the skin was not broken and he moved it fine I thought it was okay. A bruise appeared yesterday and his whole leg is going brown and swollen and there is a sore at the end which has worsened overnights. I’m getting him checked out tomorrow but I’m wondering if anyone’s experienced something similar and if they lost his leg or if it even recovered. TIA
[doublepost=1550826699,1550826587][/doublepost]40EA6491-FB85-4BC0-B67C-7F9BED4A0ADA.jpeg

You can try soaking it in a little dish with dilute Betadiene in it (add a few drops until it's about the same colour as weak tea). I'd do a 10min soak before you go to bed and again first thing in morning.

If there is an open injury , I'd remove the existing substrate and have him on paper towels until it heals (this applies after he's been seen by the vet too), this will help prevent contamination of the wound that will cause infection.

I think a vet can save the leg , but looks very infected and I hope it's not broken but it could be, and if it is it can be set by a competent reptile vet surgeon who can reset the injured bones under a general and immobilize the injured leg and foot in a cast. A course of antibiotic and painrelief injections is very likely.
If there's an abscess under the skin, the vet will need to take a small needle aspiration and culture it , then open up the abscess and drain and debride it.. And a course of antibiotics will be needed.

Where are you located ? Town & state. We can help you find a reptile vet nearby in most cases. A reptile vet is your best option, exotics and general practice vets are not very knowledgeable when it comes to reptile (skink) health and injuries and can do more harm than good.

Last edited:
How did you go ?
Give us an update on this guy!.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the message guys, as you said the local vet couldn’t do much except direct us to a reptile professional. I took your advise and done the betadine soak twice a day and put him in a different enclosure, the vet said to also wash him in warmish water a couple of times a week and lightly rub around his leg area as he recently shed and might be constricting around his leg . I got told he’d get worse before he got better and I hope he does, his leg look looks a whole lot worse and is still pretty stiff but he’s finally eating and drinking and moving around as best he can. He’s got another appointment next week to get antibiotics,pain relief and to check how he’s going :))

Thanks for the message guys, as you said the local vet couldn’t do much except direct us to a reptile professional. I took your advise and done the betadine soak twice a day and put him in a different enclosure, the vet said to also wash him in warmish water a couple of times a week and lightly rub around his leg area as he recently shed and might be constricting around his leg . I got told he’d get worse before he got better and I hope he does, his leg look looks a whole lot worse and is still pretty stiff but he’s finally eating and drinking and moving around as best he can. He’s got another appointment next week to get antibiotics,pain relief and to check how he’s going :))
Well best wishes for recovery. As you probably know it will take a while. But good to hear that it wont loose the leg!
Keep us updated.

B.J.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back