Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported_tuatara

Reaction score
The red blotched tree monitor. is their care any different to normal Varanus S.kuranda/varanus scalaris? temparement? ideal enclosure set up? heating, lighting? enclosure size? etc? cheers in advance.

I imagine they're similar to scalaris, but whatever their locality is probably affects what climate they'd like. I don't think it matters too much however, but your best bet would be to talk Sheldoncooper on here - he is an expert on the scalaris complex.

You can keep pellewensis like how most would keep their nt "scalaris". Same basking temps, enclosure sizes and designs etc. Kuranda need slightly cooler temps. They stress more than other scalaris on the hot days. A big thing with these guys is to have a wide basking light, too narrow and they get thermal burns on their backs. It's annoyingly common in tree monitor types.

You can keep pellewensis like how most would keep their nt "scalaris". Same basking temps, enclosure sizes and designs etc. Kuranda need slightly cooler temps. They stress more than other scalaris on the hot days. A big thing with these guys is to have a wide basking light, too narrow and they get thermal burns on their backs. It's annoyingly common in tree monitor types.
how would people usually keep their nt scalaris though lol? is their temperament any different to the usual very shy/skittish scalaris?

It's hard to say about individual traits. I keep 6 different forms of scalaris and all of them can be hand feed. They can be abit reserved and like the safety of hollows but over time gain confidence. The NT scalaris are the form most commonly kept. I keep a pr in 1m x 1m x 1m enclosures. Provide lots of horizontal and vertical hollows. Basking spots 50oC+ I provide UV - 4.5UVI at basking spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back