MD heat source

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JupiterJelly

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here!

I’ve had my 3 y.o. MD for about 3-4 months and cannot get the temps right. I was using 100w red heat bulbs (which is what I was recommended by the store) and couldn’t get the viv to more than 26 with the stat-probe in the middle and the basking spot at 29-30, I suspect this is cause the viv is big and made of glass so the 100w wasn’t enough to heat the space. So after some reading I switched to 150w which fixed the temps and everything was running well but it blew after a week (lamp is rated to 250w so not sure what caused this). I’m just wondering if I should switch to a ceramic or heat mat? Or stay with the 150w bulbs and replace them all the damn time?

Picture of a setup will always help :) but 100w should provide plenty of heat to the basking spot

Don't listen to pet shop advice, it's invariably crap.

Non light-emitting overhead heat sources are brilliant... but only if you're a pet shop or manufacturer wanting to make money out of suckers. If you're not selling them, don't touch them (with very rare exceptions which definitely don't include ceramics and basically never include red lights). They are expensive, unreliable and provide a bad form of heat for reptiles. If you are selling them, shame on you.

If you want to use overhead heating for a Murray Darling, you're simulating the sun. The sun makes light. Use a $2 (or $4 or whatever they cost these days) spotlight from the hardware store. Heaps better and a fraction of the cost. You should be using floor heat though for several reasons including it being better, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and more reliable (globes blow, they're fragile. Using the wrong type of thermostat on them can kill them within a day. Heat cords last forever unless you mechanically damage them or run a lightning bolt through them or something).

Floor heat can be used at any time of day to simulate a warm ground. In nature, overhead heat comes from the sun and only comes during the day, so if you want to use it, use it during the day only. Murray Darlings do like overhead heating (spotlights) during the day outside the hot season.

The temperature achieved with 100 watt bulb will depend upon the ambient temperature and the distance the bulb is from the snake. I assume you are in Australia , and so if you are having trouble in summer achieving temps then winter will be worse. The thermostat probe should be measuring the hot spot on the floor, not the middle of the cage. How far above the floor is the bulb . You could possible lower it. 100 watts should be high enough so i would be changing cage design. Watch the snake to see if he is seeking heat all the time. If he is the temperature is too low.

Here’s a pic, should also note that he’s feeding well and has had one good shed since I got him.

Edit: he also rarely seeks to be closer to the heat source despite the lower temp. I’m in Adelaide.

Thanks for your replies, I reckon I’m off to buy a heat mat!

B4EFE34D-8903-4BF4-A42E-6362A8AD9E34.jpeg

use a 20 watt heat matt under a ceramic tile on the floor.
[doublepost=1552541600,1552541523][/doublepost]save the world and stop wasting electricity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back