Why are eastern bearded dragons called jew lizards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonique

Reaction score
Heard this for the first time today, wanted to find out what bearded dragon was in French (fyi it's lézard à barbe or pogona) and one of the google results was wordreference.com which also mentioned they were called jew lizards in English, what's the etymology of the name?

This is quite an old common name used for the EBD. It is thought to have come from the dark beard of these lizards resembling the black beard of Jewish males.

This is quite an old common name used for the EBD. It is thought to have come from the dark beard of these lizards resembling the black beard of Jewish males.

That is what I was told by my father when I was a kid too.

I'm surprised the name hasn't been removed from the linga franka the same way the PC police have tried to remove common names like jewfish , jewies, nigger (fish) , blackfish, and of cause Nigger Brown Stadion.
Personally I think PC is a load of BS.

Last edited:
As a born Jewish guy, I totally agree with this. Who gives a rats ass where it came from, its cultural, so we should always fight for peoples right to say want they want to say. Theres all kinds of names for things. And saying a jew has a black beard is actually hilarious to me.. I have blonde hair and blue eyes for Christ sake! Are all Christians White Disney bowl-cut bearing witch hunters?

I don't know, best to have to have a sense of humor and enjoy the world for what it is. ;)

my 2c,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back