Snake Lengths

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MangoPie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while! My Bredli has been doing great-- I've had him for about 3 months now and it's good to finally see him growing. I had some interesting questions about size / length. I was told he was about 6 months old when I got him (making him 9 months now), but he seems extremely small for his age. I believe he was only fed on pinkies up until I got him (I have him on fuzzies now, once every 7 days)

I know it's possible to have a smaller snake depending on how much they are fed-- when I got him he was 19 grams and I'm not sure of the length, now hes up to about 30 and I feel he's around 45cm long now. Was curious to hear about how big your snakes were at his age and if maybe it's possible that hes a bit younger? I know what you should feed is based on the width of the snake too, but measuring him is tough in that sense-- I'm wondering how long I should wait to move him up to hoppers since I do want to get him growing

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, it's been a while! My Bredli has been doing great-- I've had him for about 3 months now and it's good to finally see him growing. I had some interesting questions about size / length. I was told he was about 6 months old when I got him (making him 9 months now), but he seems extremely small for his age. I believe he was only fed on pinkies up until I got him (I have him on fuzzies now, once every 7 days)

I know it's possible to have a smaller snake depending on how much they are fed-- when I got him he was 19 grams and I'm not sure of the length, now hes up to about 30 and I feel he's around 45cm long now. Was curious to hear about how big your snakes were at his age and if maybe it's possible that hes a bit younger? I know what you should feed is based on the width of the snake too, but measuring him is tough in that sense-- I'm wondering how long I should wait to move him up to hoppers since I do want to get him growing

Thanks guys!

Snakes are seasonal. I'm assuming you're in Australia, so your snake isn't 9 months old (that would mean he hatched in June, and that just doesn't happen). He's either from the most recent season, in which case his size is okay, or he's over a year old, in which case he's pretty badly undersize. Assuming he's feeding and growing and everything is going well, which sounds like it's the case, he's probably still under six months old, and everything is fine and well. Post a picture, it should be pretty easy to tell if he's a good looking healthy hatchling or a malnourished juvenile.

Snakes are seasonal. I'm assuming you're in Australia, so your snake isn't 9 months old (that would mean he hatched in June, and that just doesn't happen). He's either from the most recent season, in which case his size is okay, or he's over a year old, in which case he's pretty badly undersize. Assuming he's feeding and growing and everything is going well, which sounds like it's the case, he's probably still under six months old, and everything is fine and well. Post a picture, it should be pretty easy to tell if he's a good looking healthy hatchling or a malnourished juvenile.

Yep! In Australia. That does sound more likely, although I'm unsure since he was the last left of his clutch.

Here are some pictures

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/420516935675936780/548806521744523296/20190223_205922.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/420516935675936780/545203356281339911/20190213_222313.jpg (this was about a month ago)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/420516935675936780/557512853976776704/20190319_213528.jpg

I have a rule of thumb, the food should be a little bigger than the outside of his tummy. If a Snake is as thick as say my thumb, I would feed him hopper Rats. My MD is 3 years old and about 2m long and takes Medium Rats, he could take bigger but all that will do is give me is bigger Turds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back