GTP x Carpet (UK breeder)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilithLeChat

Reaction score
I’ve come across there images on Facebook, and I’m stunned how gorgeous this snake is. The breeder is located in UK.

I am wondering about pros and cons of such pairings, and whether Australian breeders have attempted it. (Not that I’d be able to afford such a snake anyway)

Looking at what’s being produced by overseas breeders, it seems they come up with much more variety than here. Is that a matter of preference, or ethical concerns? Do these crosses have more health issues?

https://www.facebook.com/309945242459341/posts/2122124204574760?sfns=mo

I'm pretty sure they are referred to as Capondro's. Google image that and you will find some amazing looking snakes.
As previously stated, I think they are illegal here in Australia but you can be sure someone is, or has, already done it.

What is the reason they’re illegal?
As I’m not interested in breeding, I never looked into laws regarding what’s legal and what’s illegal, and hopefully someone can explain it in plain language (rather than legalese they use in official documents).

I can only think of the danger of a hybrid escaping and breeding with local population of pythons (polluting the gene pool, so to speak), but isn’t that the same danger of, for example, a bredli escaping into Diamond territory?

Just to be clear, I support what’s best for individual animals (health and welfare-wise) and what’s best for the ecosystem, so I’d like to understand what’s so bad about hybrids (or crossbreeeds, whatever is the correct term) to make them illegal.

idk if it's it, but i think it's fair to be illegal just on the basis that there's no knowing what'll happen and it could have a lot of problems, possibly later in it's life and thus breeding could get going before it's realized. (the point could be made with morphs too i guess though)

Reminds me of the woma x ball python. Disgusting, there is no reason to make a beautiful animal such as a GTP into something a preschooler would draw. Really makes you think about the mindsets of some of the international keepers.

I wouldn't personally cross a gtp with a carpet but some of them are stunning animals and if it was legal I would buy probly buy one as a display animal. But once it starts where does it stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back