Spotted Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyl3r97

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I’m picking up a hatchie spotted python on Sunday (first snake, I keep lizards though) and just wanted to make sure I’ve got everything correct.

I’ll have he/she (unsexed ) in a click clack (35x21cm floor space) with a 5W heat pad underneath giving 32oC air temp with the thermometer and 34oC surface temp with temp gun, also connected to a thermostat. I’ve read a lot of conflicting information about temps, some say 31-33oC and others say 33-35oC so want to make sure I’ve got it right before I pick him/her up. What should I set my thermostat on and should I place it in the middle on the click clack like I would a beardy enclosure? Have also read on some that I should turn heating off over night and some say to leave it on, just drop the temps and use a day/night thermostat, so a little confused with what I should be doing there also.

Using paper towel for ease of cleaning for now with 2 toilet rolls for hides (one on the hot side one on the cool side) and also a water dish on the cool side. I know it’s quite a basic set-up but also don’t want to crowd it with too many things so he/she can still move around if he/she wanted.

Have I missed anything?

Also how easy is it to sex them? I know it’s easy to sex bearded dragons, etc but not sure on snakes.

I am sure you will get a more detailed response shortly.
In the meantime the temps sound fine. These snakes like belly heat so 34 surface is good. In regards to positioning, you really only want the heat mat to make up about 1/3rd of the flooring (outside mounted of course). Your little guy needs to be able to thermoregulate so ensuring there is room enough for him to cool down is important. As for turning it off at night, that I am little more iffy on. From my understanding the majority of keepers tend to keep the heat on during the first year of a snake's life, but don't quote me on that.

Either way I have been experimenting a bit with night time setups. My Stimmie has had constant heat up until this point (2 years old now though, so I will be changing that). He tends to sit off of his heat though and rest on branches. Often becomes active at night, basks in random spots during the day (often off of heat).

My South West Carpet that would only just be hitting 1 year old some time soon spent his earlier months with a heat tile on a day/night thermostat. Around 33*C during the day and dropped to about 29*C during the night. Not much of a drop I know, but it is still Summer anyway. Plenty of places to cool down in that enclosure.
About a fortnight ago I moved him to a much larger enclosure. This has an overhead heat lamp that warms the below surface to about 33*C - 36*C depending where I aim the IR thermostat. There is also a growlight in there with a surface temp of 33*C (some live plants waiting to be trampled). Also in one corner is a small heat tile with a thermostat set to 26*C. It almost never turns on, but I put it in there just in case I feed him on a cold night later on.
His behaviour sees him bask in the morning, go into hiding during the day and then come out again not long before his lights turn off. He then spends the nights typically in ambush positions on his branches, though sometimes he roams a bit.

I think this shows you could probably go either way with night time heating really. Maybe just make sure there is a minimum. We are also still in the warmer weather, so check with the others about that first Winter.

Sorry for ranting and run-on sentences.

I am sure you will get a more detailed response shortly.
In the meantime the temps sound fine. These snakes like belly heat so 34 surface is good. In regards to positioning, you really only want the heat mat to make up about 1/3rd of the flooring (outside mounted of course). Your little guy needs to be able to thermoregulate so ensuring there is room enough for him to cool down is important. As for turning it off at night, that I am little more iffy on. From my understanding the majority of keepers tend to keep the heat on during the first year of a snake's life, but don't quote me on that.

Either way I have been experimenting a bit with night time setups. My Stimmie has had constant heat up until this point (2 years old now though, so I will be changing that). He tends to sit off of his heat though and rest on branches. Often becomes active at night, basks in random spots during the day (often off of heat).

My South West Carpet that would only just be hitting 1 year old some time soon spent his earlier months with a heat tile on a day/night thermostat. Around 33*C during the day and dropped to about 29*C during the night. Not much of a drop I know, but it is still Summer anyway. Plenty of places to cool down in that enclosure.
About a fortnight ago I moved him to a much larger enclosure. This has an overhead heat lamp that warms the below surface to about 33*C - 36*C depending where I aim the IR thermostat. There is also a growlight in there with a surface temp of 33*C (some live plants waiting to be trampled). Also in one corner is a small heat tile with a thermostat set to 26*C. It almost never turns on, but I put it in there just in case I feed him on a cold night later on.
His behaviour sees him bask in the morning, go into hiding during the day and then come out again not long before his lights turn off. He then spends the nights typically in ambush positions on his branches, though sometimes he roams a bit.

I think this shows you could probably go either way with night time heating really. Maybe just make sure there is a minimum. We are also still in the warmer weather, so check with the others about that first Winter.

Sorry for ranting and run-on sentences.

Thanks for the reply Blighty! During the first winter I might keep heat on and keep around the same temps as the hotter months to avoid brumation then maybe

Basking temps are fine, keep that to one side of the tub. As mentioned keep a cool side on the other side to the tub. Use a thermometer to measure both sides and set thermostat to achieve appropriate temperatures.

You can give a young/non breeding animal access to heat 24/7.

Sex by probing or popping but not necessary unless you are wanting to breed. Gender neutral names for unsexed snakes are fine.

Sorry forgot to add the cool side sits around 26-27oC

I want to get into breeding them eventually so might just get it sexed later on down the line.

Thanks for the replies
[doublepost=1552723028,1551947033][/doublepost]My little guy had his first feed today such a champion, he’s eating fuzzies, do you think they could be too small or perfect size? The breeder said that he’d be ready for hoppers but told me to double check with other people. I decided to just get fuzzies because that is what he was eating with him, I figured I can either feed more regularly until they aren’t finished if they aren’t the right size or feed normally because they are the right size. He got it down in about 15 minutes.

E9EB3832-E5AE-4518-9B36-E132A558F952.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back