Calming Bitey Darwin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightMiner

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Welp, my dad and I definitely need to do some work with his Darwin.

Came home to find the thermostat beeping at me for the second time in two days, so opened to take a look and found it was under her kriter krumble - reached in, not thinking about it, to move it out in the open again and she tagged me from her shelf...

She's bitten my father and I a few times through the years now and at her current size of at least 2.5 metres, dad thinks closer to 2.7, it hurts a lot these days. I feel like most are "get away from me" bites as she rarely ever bites and holds, not even sure if today's was that or a mistaken food bite - might have been the latter even though she didn't manage to wrap around, combo of hand moving from the hit and her reaction to the texture, since she's been looking out at me or down from her shelf ever since.

Sorta already feel like part of what needs doing is working to break the association she has with the door only really opening for food.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Note: My bad about initially posting in the wrong location.

Welp, my dad and I definitely need to do some work with his Darwin.

Came home to find the thermostat beeping at me for the second time in two days, so opened to take a look and found it was under her kriter krumble - reached in, not thinking about it, to move it out in the open again and she tagged me from her shelf...

She's bitten my father and I a few times through the years now and at her current size of at least 2.5 metres, dad thinks closer to 2.7, it hurts a lot these days. I feel like most are "get away from me" bites as she rarely ever bites and holds, not even sure if today's was that or a mistaken food bite - might have been the latter even though she didn't manage to wrap around, combo of hand moving from the hit and her reaction to the texture, since she's been looking out at me or down from her shelf ever since.

Sorta already feel like part of what needs doing is working to break the association she has with the door only really opening for food.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Note: My bad about initially posting in the wrong location.

How often is she handled outside cleaning etc?
Definitely breaking the association is the way to go, also getting her used to the smell of you and your dad.
Also check where she is before you open the enclosure so that you can work out a game plan.

How often is she handled outside cleaning etc?
Definitely breaking the association is the way to go, also getting her used to the smell of you and your dad.
Also check where she is before you open the enclosure so that you can work out a game plan.
Almost never unfortunately, had been planning to start before dad had a major health scare at the end of last year, so that's definitely one of the issues.

I definitely thought so, just hadn't realised til today just how strong it might have become.

Thanks, good advice, especially given how her current enclosure was converted giving her a ledge we have to reach from under and around.

Almost never unfortunately, had been planning to start before dad had a major health scare at the end of last year, so that's definitely one of the issues.

I definitely thought so, just hadn't realised til today just how strong it might have become.

Thanks, good advice, especially given how her current enclosure was converted giving her a ledge we have to reach from under and around.
Her being strong could definitely become dangerous. Investing in a snake hook may be useful to keep you out of harms way but making sure that she can still get used to handling. Just be careful when using it

Her being strong could definitely become dangerous. Investing in a snake hook may be useful to keep you out of harms way but making sure that she can still get used to handling. Just be careful when using it
She's definitely a very strong girl so do need to work out a way to persuade her to come out to be handled.

I would love to have a large snake like have, its just something about them is amazing
Looking in at her and seeing those coils is always really amazing.

Managed to persuade her out a little while ago after putting on two layers of gloves, couldn't find the thicker one I'd intended to use, only had her out for a little while but think that kinda thing will help.

Haha, Ive got my beautiful lil stimsons and I love him so that's all that matters
Dawwww, adorable :) Gotta do some things for my Spotted but he's always been way more laid back than Sadie - pretty sure he's only hit me once or twice in 8 years and both where feeding bites that missed the target.

Thanks, Newt has only struck through his enclosure at me when I was feeding him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back