Victorian smugglers busted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$38,685 and 24 months imprisonment.
The maximum penalty for cruelty is $40,297.50 and a maximum 12 months in jail.

So just shy of $80k & 3yrs in jail if they get a "hanging judge" , is not , IMO in anyway nearly harsh enough.

These f-wits need be fined $80k per animal they tried to traffic and get 3yrs imprisonment per animal.
This is the sort of cell these f-wits deserve a HANGING IRON CAGE like this and left to rot in the open https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=5425574

Last edited:
$38,685 and 24 months imprisonment.
The maximum penalty for cruelty is $40,297.50 and a maximum 12 months in jail.

So just shy of $80k & 3yrs in jail if they get a "hanging judge" , is not , IMO in anyway nearly harsh enough.
Now in reality... more like an $800 fine and 3 weeks community service.

Great work there. While most in the hobby are happy these ppl got caught and want severe punishment dished out and rightly so, I find it odd and a bit hypocritical that many of these people will then go and support smuggling operations by keeping things like jags and zebras etc. I guess its just a greed thing.

Throw the book at them, preferably a very large and heavy one...

I wonder if export of australian wildlife were legally allowed, would that reduce the demand for smuggling and encourage humane handling of monitored animals with a known health status enabling tracking after arrival?

I wonder if export of australian wildlife were legally allowed, would that reduce the demand for smuggling and encourage humane handling of monitored animals with a known health status enabling tracking after arrival?
The argument against that is it would still lead to animals being taken from the wild. There was extensive lobbying a few years back by some influential people to allow export of native parrots, particularly black cockatoos, the ludicrous situation with them was it was legal to shoot them in Qld and NT but you could not export them. A couple of commercial breeding operations were set up in expectation of changes but nothing happened and one went back to a mango plantation, the other in WA was closed down.

Great work there. While most in the hobby are happy these ppl got caught and want severe punishment dished out and rightly so, I find it odd and a bit hypocritical that many of these people will then go and support smuggling operations by keeping things like jags and zebras etc. I guess its just a greed thing.
So true. Do as I say...……...

I think that any person commiting cruelty towards animal such as goes on when they are smuggled should held acountable for their actions. But to say that the the people enjoying these morphs are condoning it isn't fair. Their are many crimes against animals and humans that just about anyone is inavertantly involved in everyday through living a modern lifestyle

Thing is that Jags and Zebs have been around so long that your average hobbyist would have no idea how these lines came to be in Oz.

Is there a way to for the average snake buyer to know if a snake contains jag or zeb genes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back