Belly or basking heat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southernserpent

Reaction score
Just wondering what people think is the best way to provide heat for carpet pythons but I guess it goes for all Pythons. what is best for the snake belly or basking?

I only have belly heating but would actually prefer basking with perches in winter. Even better abit of both. I Just don’t have the room.
[doublepost=1552184642,1552183281][/doublepost]I run bellyheat in commercial racks 24\7 all year. Each rack off one thermostat. This big ax fella try’s to stay cool down the cool end. I think his fine though. (His coming up for a shed cycle)

37EEA4EB-FD42-4727-A3A9-56E936946B77.jpeg

509AFFC6-B60C-4A90-BD09-8057A89739E6.jpeg
[doublepost=1552185903][/doublepost]This one is a larger rack with heat panels. That’s my het ax jungle zeb female.

058E9867-6A3E-4979-BA25-C2BB3A6CAA49.jpeg

BEFF6F37-251D-430D-A706-652A1E9D1123.jpeg

Thanks I run all basking in enclosures except for my hatchies that are in racks. Just interested in what people think is the best for the reptile

If you're only going to use one or the other, floor is better for the snake and is much easier to use. Also cheaper and safer. Unless it's for Diamonds, Bredli, maybe Murray Darlings and maybe SW Carpets, I wouldn't ever bother with spotlights/basking lamps/overhead heating. Diamonds are best kept cold for most of the year with basking lights, Bredli, Murray Darlings and SW Carpets don't need that sort of thing but do have a natural inclination to use it if it's offered. For all other types I definitely just wouldn't bother.

Carpet Pythons are among the most 'basking' of all pythons. Most pythons are tropical and will do best with floor heat only.

The heating isn’t the issue it’s the different cage design between basking and belly heat. Basking having much more vertical space which allows them to climb if they choose.
In saying that I still prefer rack systems for their ease to maintain.

All my Pythons have heat mats and UV Globes, they choose if they want to be on the heat or move away to a cooler part of the enclosure to cool off. I use a tile and set the Thermostat on the tile so I know how hot it is. My MD Carpet loves to climb up and sit on a ledge under the UV globe, he will stay there all day sometimes or he might hang off his stick or even stay inside his hide. They know what they need so they move around. My other Pythons have a similar environment with the exception of a second hide on the cool side. They are all healthy and happy, they all handle well, poo properly and shed well too. Oh and I use a large water dish so they can have humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back