Do Bearded Dragon's Hibernate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Colbert

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have had my Bearded Dragon for 6 months now.

4 days ago she dug herself into her hide and almost blocked the door. She has not come out but i know she is ok as she is still smiling inside her hide.

Do Beardies actually go into a hybernation mode?

Thank you for your replies

Some will go down for the count for period of weeks , even in some cases a couple of months over winter (it's called BRUMATION).
If they don't go into a period of dormancy , they tend to slow down their metabolisms somewhat but will continue coming out to bask and take food most days.

It's believed that brumation in bearded dragons who are breeders assists them and helps with their fertility and it's a response to colder daytime temperatures and insects becoming scarce and nutritious greens and fruits disappearing during the long dry winter months.
Some think brumation is necessary , others do not , some keepers have dragons who have never brumated.

In general it's not considered wise to allow a juvenile bearded dragon (under 12 months old) to brumate during it's first winter because they don't have the fat reserves required to sustain themselves that a healthy adult bearded will have.

Some will go down for the count for period of weeks , even in some cases a couple of months over winter (it's called BRUMATION).
If they don't go into a period of dormancy , they tend to slow down their metabolisms somewhat but will continue coming out to bask and take food most days.

It's believed that brumation in bearded dragons who are breeders assists them and helps with their fertility and it's a response to colder daytime temperatures and insects becoming scarce and nutritious greens and fruits disappearing during the long dry winter months.
Some think brumation is necessary , others do not , some keepers have dragons who have never brumated.

In general it's not considered wise to allow a juvenile bearded dragon (under 12 months old) to brumate during it's first winter because they don't have the fat reserves required to sustain themselves that a healthy adult bearded will have.

Thank you for your help. Brumation. I love it. Always learning here. Im glad you mentioned a number of these points as I've learned also through the community why my pythons are cooling down. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back