Woma has weird scales after shedding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah Pitama

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old male Woma Python and he has just finished a shed. I have noticed though what I thought was some stuck shed but now I’m not sure. His scales look really rough and some look even a little shrunken in two small strips that run down either side of his body up near his head.

Can you please post a clear picture so we may help you. it is difficult to determine if there is an issue without looking at it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

151ad106082c197b62be68d69f54c65d.jpg
579dbd597683b327f231106be7744f55.jpg

This is the clearest I could get sorry with him moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a good image so take this with a pinch of salt but that looks more like blisters to me.

Any idea where blisters would come from? He is no where close enough to his heat light to get blister/burns? Also, do you imagine something like this would heal properly?

Any idea where blisters would come from? He is no where close enough to his heat light to get blister/burns? Also, do you imagine something like this would heal properly?

Get a decent picture and we'll be able to tell you what it is.

Snakes don't get blisters from heat or rubbing like we do. They get it from skin infection, usually caused by damp and dirty conditions, especially if it's too cold for them.

Your picture doesn't look too much like blisters to me, but I really can't tell from those poor pictures.

Here are some better pictures, one side definitely looks worse than the other. It hasn’t gotten any worse over the last two days either.

f7c2b4eb97eafc961ada603fc3d09cd3.jpg
f7c2b4eb97eafc961ada603fc3d09cd3.jpg
2c27c5919413abc3c5d0289c88834805.jpg
cb773e196b128ab57c7cb55ee2c90c90.jpg

Looks like there was a mechanical injury of some sort, assuming there were no obvious alternative explanations (sticky tape or something else getting stuck on the stick, exposure to hazardous chemicals, etc). It sort of looks like a chemical injury (some sort of corrosive or toxic chemical) but since that's generally unlikely, it was probably mechanical, unless he's in a very simple enclosure and you definitely know a physical injury couldn't have happened.

If so, try to identify how it happened so it doesn't happen again, and it should heal up through the next slough cycle.

This is an example of how simple enclosures help; they eliminate the chances of issues and help narrow down causes if an issue does pop up.

Thank you for your help, I hope it clears up after his next shed. I do not know how it could be a mechanical injury as he is in an extremely basic enclosure with papertowel base, shallow water bowl and a small hide on either side of his 4ft enclosure until I decide what substrate I want to use and how I want it to look. Weird though, he seems comfortable enough at least and doesn’t mind it being touched so I don’t think it’s causing him any discomfort.

How long ago did you get him/her?
If it wasn’t that long ago it could have come from the breeder. If not then I don’t know sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back