Children's Python Hatchling -advice needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosez

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to reptiles and this whole thread thing but i would love some help and advise :)

I have been researching children's python care for a while now (i'm looking at getting a children's python) and i'm pretty sure I'm after a hatchling.... however, apparently they do well in smaller containers or what people are calling tubs?

So I'm wondering, are hatchlings good for a beginner or are yearlings or adults better?
I'm also wondering (out of curiosity) why the hatchlings need a smaller enclosure size? And should this tub be kept within the enclosure it will be moved into or not?

Basically, I pretty much have an adult sized enclosure ready to go but I don't want to put a hatchling in an environment that will stress it?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Especially as youngsters, snakes tend to do better in a tub/cage around half to equal their own length. They feel more secure in something smaller. It's a bit counterintuitive because you'd think that having a small hide in a large enclosure would do the same job, but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Whether you want a hatchling or older snake as your first mainly comes down to personal preference. I've always much preferred to raise snakes from neonates just because I feel happy watching them grow and seeing their whole progression. Other people don't have that same interest, and that's fine.

Depending on how everything is set up, having the hatchling tub inside the larger enclosure may or may not work. The main consideration is temperature, and as a reptile keeper you'll do well to learn about temperature. Temperature is about 80% of successful reptile keeping and probably the most neglected aspect of it.

Usually it’s easier for an adult, but to really learn, it’s best to get a hatchie and raise it. My sneksnake is bezzel (profile pic) I got him a few months ago as a hatchling, and it teaches you much faster then an adult, and you can really bond with it. And, even though the wild is huge, snakes in a huge enclosure get very scared and feel insecure, sometimes causing them to not eat. Also, for a breeder, tubs for hatchies are easier to monitor, but in my opinion for just a pet, they find the vivariums very interesting. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back