Help Please!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColourBombReptiles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all! My carpet hatchie Bezzel has been smashing food for almost 3 months, then I tried to feed him his second fuzzy, he wouldn’t eat it. I went and purchased mouse pinkies as they are the smallest, and he wouldn’t eat, we tried assist feeding and he refused it. I’m very worried for him, I know that’s stupid as snakes can live for a long time without food, but I just want him to continue feeding as he is only a baby

Thanks in advance!

they can survive without food for over 6 months/ just try every now and again, it could just be because it's getting colder that it's not eating as much.

i know! But I feel so horrible and o just want to have him eating. Is there anything I could try?

Try a larger meal, pinkies and fuzzies don’t do much, assist feeding can cause more problems than just waiting for them to want food.

Try something like a weaner mouse at the least.

What are the temps in tank like? When u say he doesn’t eat, is he not showing interest? Does he let go?

Is the food thawed and warm?

As mentioned, they can go months without food, and when they want food they’ll be active and in a hunt mode

Check it’s eyes, if they’ve gone dull or milky it’s coming up for a shed so it’d refuse food.

It isn’t in shed(pretty sure) (although it’s a hard time telling, it’s a sunglow) and the rat fizzie did seem almost half a head larger. Remember it’s neck is barely over a centimetre thick. The temperatures are fine, of course they are warm and thawed (don’t wanna give it hypothermia XD) and so I just try feeding it once or twice a week , if it doesn’t eat re-freeze it? Thanks for all the replies so far guys I really appreciate it

Leave he/she alone for a little while, missing a feed here and there will have no effect. Snakes go off their food for periods for many reasons. Don't panic. The animal could be stressed after the attempted assist feeding. Leave it alone for a week and then try.

You could try waiting for the snake to let you know it's hungry. You will notice it active at night, then talking up an ambush position. When you've seen the same behaviour over a few nights, try feeding then. Defrost and warm up the food item and present it nice and close. Defrost the food item near the enclosure where the snake will be able to smell it.

Something to remember if you're refreezing food items. Put the food item in a separate bag and write the date on the outside. Defrost again after a couple of months.

Sadly I don’t reuse any food items refused by snake. Thaw a frozen mouse & get to temp , feed to snake, if snake doesn’t eat it , gets put in a bag marked “bin” put back in the freezer until bin day. That’s just me but think it’s sound practice. Rather spend a few $ on more mice than $$$ on vet bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back