Small Lizard Suggestions!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan.de3

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm about to purchase 2 enclosures that are 60x60x60cm each with a front on glass opening, and I was wondering what would be great to keep in them? I have a few large enclosures for Bearded Dragons and Blue Tongue Lizards but wanted to change it up!

I am thinking possibly geckos, as I wish for the enclosures to be large enough for them to live their entire lives there. They do not have to be great handlers, as long as they are quite active and I can see them during the day?

Does anything even fall under those requirements :confused: At first I was thinking Painted Dragons, until I read that is it highly recommended they have a top opening enclosure. Then I was thinking Netted Dragons until I read that they were far too difficult to obtain! :( I also read that certain Geckos are nocturnal so I wouldn't see them much!

Thanks so much in advance! :);)

Smaller gecko species- pair or trio per enclosure.
Larger gecko species- single or pair (saltaurius sp).
Hypsilirus spinipes (angle heads) would go well for a few years in an enclosure that size (at least 2 years), if bought as hatchies, they are slow growing so could be kept in an enclosure that size for some time.
Central netted dragons hard to get?

Hey Ryan-James!

What small geckos are fairly visible during the day?
I was looking at Angle Heads originally, but I'm running out of room in my house and I know that if I buy them I'm going to end up taking up even more space to build them a larger enclosure long term.

I would love a Leaf Tailed Gecko but would have to upgrade my license to keep them!

And yes! I have been trying to find a Central Netted Dragon here in Melbourne, Victoria, but the only ones I could find were in NSW or ACT :(

Thanks for the speedy reply! :D

Small to medium sized skinks are wonderful pets.

I've kept an eastern water skink for a few years (captive bred) and she's mega tame and quite the character , and loves interacting with me , readily takes crickets , mealworms and sometimes takes bsfl from my fingers , she's never interested in eating silkworms. If I don't get her out for funtime for a few days she lets me know she's not amused and wants to come out. She's quite vocal at times.

Very hard to locate these in captivity. I recently found someone who had a juvenile male water skink and hope to introduce him to her in a new 4ft x 2ft tank when I get around to building it , they are currently housed separately in 120L converted tubs.

Pygmy bearded dragons do well in your size tank, all mine live in them.Most of the Ctenophorus could also, my netted do but as you say they are hard to find in Vic.

Hey Nuttylizardguy!
Perfect! I will keep the Eastern Water Skink in mind, but like the Southern Angle Heads, I will have to decide later. It all just depends on the space in my house for another 4ft enclosure when they get big! :confused:

Dragonlover1 I read about the Pygmy Beardies, but like the Leaf Tailed I need to upgrade my license! They are both such fascinating creatures that might be worth the upgrade though. Where abouts did you purchase your Netted Dragons? Right now reading all of the posts that is making me seriously considering them, but don't know where to even start!

Hey Nuttylizardguy!
Perfect! I will keep the Eastern Water Skink in mind, but like the Southern Angle Heads, I will have to decide later. It all just depends on the space in my house for another 4ft enclosure when they get big! :confused:

Dragonlover1 I read about the Pygmy Beardies, but like the Leaf Tailed I need to upgrade my license! They are both such fascinating creatures that might be worth the upgrade though. Where abouts did you purchase your Netted Dragons? Right now reading all of the posts that is making me seriously considering them, but don't know where to even start!
there's a few sellers online findable through reptileclassifieds.com.au and facebook, and while i don't know of their credibility myself (though they seem decent) amazing amazon does seemingly have them sometimes. along with dragons, skinks, and geckos, some monitors (though few and possibly hard to find/somewhat expensive) could also live in a 60x60x60 enclosure.

Cheers Imported Tuatara! I'll keep an eye on both Facebook and ReptilesClassified! I know amazing amazon won't have any for at least a few months I was told.

I'm located in Victoria, Melbourne Ryan-James. All of the listings I've seen are located in NSW unfortunately.

Cheers Imported Tuatara! I'll keep an eye on both Facebook and ReptilesClassified! I know amazing amazon won't have any for at least a few months I was told.

I'm located in Victoria, Melbourne Ryan-James. All of the listings I've seen are located in NSW unfortunately.

GumTree is worth monitoring too , so is PetPages.

Strophurus species would suit well. You could easily have a pair or trio in that size enclosure. Fun little gecko which are extremely active during the night, and unlike many gecko species are perfectly comfortable being fully exposed during the day as they rely on camouflage as opposed to hiding away. They would need the addition of a UV light, but otherwise the care is super simple.
All round favourite species to keep.

Thank Nuttylizardguy! I've been checking GumTree pretty regularly but never heard of PetPages!

They look beautiful Buggster! Definitely something I'm gonna look into deeply. Thanks so much for the suggestion :D

Hey Nuttylizardguy!

Are pygmy beardies class 2 in Vic? only R1 in NSW as are netted. All my reptiles are purchased in or near Sydney as I can't do shipping due to my job I am on the road all day miles from the airport.

Last edited:
So in Victoria I think our Basic License is the equivalent to R1 I believe and our advanced is the equivalent to R2. Netted Dragons are considered Basic/R1 which I have, and things like Leaf Tailed Geckos and Pygmys are Advanced/R2 for us in Victoria. Hope that answers your question, but I might be wrong with the Victoria/Sydney License cross.

I thought Vic could keep all species on normal license? Even venomous

So in Victoria I think our Basic License is the equivalent to R1 I believe and our advanced is the equivalent to R2. Netted Dragons are considered Basic/R1 which I have, and things like Leaf Tailed Geckos and Pygmys are Advanced/R2 for us in Victoria. Hope that answers your question, but I might be wrong with the Victoria/Sydney License cross.
That seems really strange to me, Pygmies are fairly common in NSW and easy to keep so are on a basic license but central netted are hard to find although easy to keep. I can't comment on Leaf tails as I have no knowledge of geckoes ( I am a dragon nut).
I know every state has it's own regs but some of them are ridiculous , it should be much easier to transfer Australian reptiles within Australia.
Another anomally with licensing, we have Eastern bluies on R1 yet our western and northern are R2 but they all live in the same conditions and eat the same food but need a different license????

Last edited:
No 100% not the case, there are different types of licenses Herptology :(

And yes Dragonlover1 I originally thought that every state had the same policies. I was super keen on a Pygmy until I realized.

Last edited:
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/animals-basic-wildlife-licence-victoria

These are the licenses in Victoria, and you only need a basic one for a large variety (larger than any other state) of species in VIC

There’s also some species u don’t need a license for at all
View attachment 326895

Edit: just looked, you can keep pygmies on advanced license in Victoria Which is weird but sucky, can’t you apply for a license upgrade?
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/animals-advanced-wildlife-licence-victoria
200-300 each year for some pygmies? lmao

but yeah; you don't need to do anything special for a licence upgrade here in vic, just pay the 200-300 pricetag each year, similarly with basic but instead 100 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back