Western BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpdiggler

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Our western BHP shed last night so I decided to give her some sun. In doing so I managed to capture a typical food driven BHP bite. No strike, no fast or defensive behavior. She simply started pressing her face on the hook then chomped on it.
16417c5db6130fbca7d883f48e758fdf.jpg
282d87d7fc6a892e4afb369734828e07.jpg
f8fdc16440784cff282158f75b62869c.jpg
90c6cdcd21e766fc3d1ab5af57fd18ca.jpg
88981d310f5aaf1a88e1fc361a6a0f57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
She's a great looking snake, how old would it be? Can't wait to pick our one up, she is being a bit fussy when it come to feeding
It's funny how they just press into what they are going to chomp. Our woma does the same:)

No @Shire pythons I believe you too be correct, once established they are incredible. This one I'm soon(hopefully) to acquire was from the breeders last clutch from before Christmas. She has had a couple feeds but refused in between. He wants her to be more consistent before handing her over

Yeah for sure once they get going they will smash anything haha.. my pilbaras eat even in heavy shed . Day/night doesnt matter chicken necks and fish even ! Just gotta watch not over feeding them very important
[doublepost=1523587660,1523587616][/doublepost]
No @Shire pythons I believe you too be correct, once established they are incredible. This one I'm soon(hopefully) to acquire was from the breeders last clutch from before Christmas. She has had a couple feeds but refused in between. He wants her to be more consistent before handing her over

Absolutely. Once established they are voracious feeders. It has been suggersted that they would eat a can of cola if it were left around.

Yeah for sure once they get going they will smash anything haha.. my pilbaras eat even in heavy shed . Day/night doesnt matter chicken necks and fish even !

This is why they are often seen as 'cage defensive' or even aggressive. Nothing to do with aggression its pure food response. Anything that goes in that enclosure is food until they realise differently.

I tried something different with the hatchies this hear and tried them with food before 1st shed. To my amazment 50% of them ate at first offering. I actually find them less of a problem to establish than carpets.

This is why they are often seen as 'cage defensive' or even aggressive. Nothing to do with aggression its pure food response. Anything that goes in that enclosure is food until they realise differently.

I tried something different with the hatchies this hear and tried them with food before 1st shed. To my amazment 50% of them ate at first offering. I actually find them less of a problem to establish than carpets.
Yeah i think you're spot on there mate. I have only been chewed on once from my female and my hand was in her tank and id had a few beers and wasnt paying attention Haha.. lesson learnt. They are honestly my go to pair if someone is over and wants to handle one of my snakes as i trust them not to bite compared to some of my morelia.. good stuff with your hatchys ive heard even the slower starters are easily assist fed . For all these reasons im goin to have a crack with my pilbaras next season

Yeah i think you're spot on there mate. I have only been chewed on once from my female and my hand was in her tank and id had a few beers and wasnt paying attention Haha.. lesson learnt. They are honestly my go to pair if someone is over and wants to handle one of my snakes as i trust them not to bite compared to some of my morelia.. good stuff with your hatchys ive heard even the slower starters are easily assist fed . For all these reasons im goin to have a crack with my pilbaras next season
Will you be pairing your Pilbara BHPs at the end of the year?

Yeah I'm pretty excited for this pairing . It's my first attempt breeding these . I'll get some decent pics of the pair and post up later. @nick_75

Beautiful Big BHP... I've one that's probably 2 yrs old. And yes she also does that nuzzle and slow bite.. Well slow compared to a Food Response :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back