Thermostat + extension cord

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys :)

is it safe to run a thermostat which runs a powerboard of 4x 50w heat cords on a powerboard OFF an extension lead to the wall?

So in the scheme of things: Wall->timer->extension cord->Thermostat->powerboard->4x heaters->4x snake tanks.

It is a habitat - https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/habistat-thermostats.html

unfortunately, due to living arrangements made poorly by previous owners, all the Wall sockets are along one wall where the tv and entertainment unit goes (adding a wall socket is not an option, unfortunately, unless I want to have the whole roof ripped down)

Thanks!

Yeah, as long as all your connections are secure and the load ratings are not exceeded that'll be fine. I'm assuming all the heat equipment is the same (eg running four identical heat cords off the same powerboard).

Yeah, as long as all your connections are secure and the load ratings are not exceeded that'll be fine. I'm assuming all the heat equipment is the same (eg running four identical heat cords off the same powerboard).
Thanks Sdaji

Just wasn't sure, if i HAD to plug thermostat into the wall or not!~

Thanks Sdaji

Just wasn't sure, if i HAD to plug thermostat into the wall or not!~

No, not at all. You can plug a thermostat into a double adapter, power board, timer, etc. I've... actually, I don't think I've ever plugged one directly into a GPO (AKA power point AKA 'the wall')

I’m a little confused here , as you would have 1 temperature probe in the first enclosure only, regulating that heat cord. The other 3 enclosures with their own heat cords but without the temperature probes? Regardless of whether they are running out of a thermostat only 1 enclosure would safe?

I’m a little confused here , as you would have 1 temperature probe in the first enclosure only, regulating that heat cord. The other 3 enclosures with their own heat cords but without the temperature probes? Regardless of whether they are running out of a thermostat only 1 enclosure would safe?
they all run the same type of 50w heat cord

Accidents happen. Unless you can get a heat cable long enough to do all 4 enclosures? If not i’d probably get another few thermostats & run them all off the same power board . I have a 10 metre lead with double sockets spaced along it(Bunnings) 1 thermostat to run the rack1 to run females display & 1 to run fishtank

If you have 4 identical enclosures in the same environment, a thermostat probe in one of them can control the heating in all of them. Obviously this assumes the heating devices are identical, the cages and environments are near enough to identical, and there is a sufficiently low chance of the heating element in the enclosure with the probe blowing (you definitely wouldn't use this method with a single light globe or CHE in each enclosure, especially if they were high wattage). It is very common for 10+ (I've seen over 50) enclosures to be heated with single thermostats. If you don't fully understand the concepts involved you shouldn't do it.

Sdaji has this right, my son has a 5 stack enclosure for blue tongues with 1 thermostat, the probe is in the centre one. They have identical lights so all temps are the same,so when it gets too hot in the centre all heat is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back