Who keeps inverts? 2019.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan-James

Reaction score
Just putting it out there, are there many ppl keeping invertebrates anymore?
Here's a few of mine if anyone is interested in having a look, atm I keep around 160 individuals, all tarantulas, scorpions and various trapdoors species. RSCN7194.JPG above: phlogius hirsutus, juvenile.
RSCN7191.JPG above- phlogius crassipes Airlie form.
IMG_20190422_084440.jpg Above- phlogius kuttabul.
RSCN7205.JPG Above- Golden trapdoor, euoplos sp. These are one of my favourites, they are big, solid and burst up out of the substrate to smash crickets.
IMG_20190422_084628.jpg Above- Arbanitis Longipes showing a dusting of metallic gold hairs, these are chrome coloured as juvies.
RSCN6812.JPG Above- Rainforest scorpion, having lunch.
RSCN6499.JPG Above- selenotypus exevale, wants a hug.
RSCN6837.JPG
Above- Seqocrypta Jakarta.

RSCN6808.JPG Above- marbled scorpion (lychas) eating a cricket whilst stinging another one.
RSCN6758.JPG Above- U. yaschenkoi munching a cricket.
RSCN6885.JPG Above- P. Hirsutus sling.

IMG_20190409_184230.jpg
Above- Selenotypus sp.
IMG_20180215_165709-01.jpeg Above- Phlogius sp.
IMG_20180109_152300.jpg
Above- lychas sp. with bubs.

RSCN6873.JPG
Above- one of many champagne robustus slings.

RSCN6885.JPG

Last edited:
Currently I only have a Rainforest Scorpion, but I’m thinking of getting a tarantula too at some point, not sure what kind. My dream one is P. metallica, but of course, can’t have them here in Oz.

full

full

What are recommended as good starter tarantulas?
Depends on the reason that qualifies a T as a good entry level starting point.
All are basic to keep and look after, phlogius grow quick which is rewarding but these are fairly defensive, selonotypus are slower growing and most are defensive too, I've seen people handling S.plumipes. I would say Selenotypus chamagne robustus would be suitable, a bit slower growing but I've seen a few which are generally calm and they have good colour contrast. Aggression generally comes down to the individual and I free handle these about as much as I free handled my djarra death adders when I kept them.

I have a rainforest scorpling at the moment... Im waiting on 2 black rock scorpions and receiving my tarantula on Wednesday. I purchased a selenotypus sp. Its going to be my first. I would love to get a desert scorpion, but i would like to get into reptiles... so I might hold back for a while. I also don't want to over crowd myself with animals and have to sell them later... I also live with my parents and they're arachnophobic.... so you know how well I'm doing at the moment lol. I've been looking at getting a blue tongue and that will take up a lot of space I have.

Where do you get inverts in Australia? Best sites?

I’m a fan of phasmids. Have Extatosoma tiaratum and Tropidoderus childrenii

I'm getting back into reptiles (have been for the last 2/3 years) casually and am desperately wanting to dip my toes into Scorpion keeping. The rainforest Scorpions just look absolutely adorable with their fat little claws and tiiiiny tails :D However my family absolutely put their feet down on Scorpions.

However they HAVE allowed me to start on Panda Snails, which should be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.