Black headed pythons - Breeding and temperatures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadeanderson92

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time breeding these guys & I am wanting some tips from people/breeders that have successfully done so. What steps do you take? I am aware of not feeding so digestive tracts can clear and turning off the heating during the night. I have my pair together currently but not really seeing them do anything. They mostly sleep together in their hide and a few times have wandered to the cooler end together and just chilled there for a few hours. I am aware of what the female will look like when she ovulates but how will I know if they infact tie together if they snuggle in their hide most of the time? [emoji23]

- also what is everyone’s humidity at for their babies??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jade
BHPs can be tricky. Getting BHPs to mate is easy, the hardest thing is getting ovulation.
You really need to get them cycling properly and this sometimes needs to be started the season prior to attempting to breed as well as the season you actually want to breed them. However, this is not essential.

What is essential is exposing them to COLD night time temps and warm days. I used to like to cool mine down to below 15 degrees overnight for 3-4 weeks before pairing them but still give them 28-35 degree day time bask spots. But nights must be cold!!!!

Keep the nights cold and keep pairing them for 2-3 days at a time all the way through until late August and then try to warm up the nights above 15 degrees (18-22 degrees is better). Usually at this time you will get ovulation and eventually relay and egg deposition.

Its tricky but its all about replicating the Autumn/Winter/Spring temperature and photoperiod fluctuations. Replicate natural temperatures and photoperiods and you should get success. But there are many other factors such as condition etc

hope this helps

@BARRAMUNDI, have started the cooling, at night it is about 15degrees. I’ve had them together for about 2 weeks now and they haven’t mated yet that I have seen, she has been looking thick but could just be her.

@BARRAMUNDI, have started the cooling, at night it is about 15degrees. I’ve had them together for about 2 weeks now and they haven’t mated yet that I have seen, she has been looking thick but could just be her.

I would seperate for another fortnight and allow them to really cool down.

Pair them periodically from late May through to late July and then gradually warm them up.

Only thing I would add to the above is are you sure you have a pair?
I have had plently of activity with mine already.

Only thing I would add to the above is are you sure you have a pair?
I have had plently of activity with mine already.

I bought them as a pair that had apparently mated before, but I haven’t personally sexed them. I guess I took their word for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back