Need advice on my enclosure set up please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryam

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Fairly new here, being reading a lot of threads and getting lots of help so thanks for this site. Ended up with a snake from a friend who didn't have the time for her and I fell in love when I saw her. Have been told she is a Darwin carpet python, and have got her in this so far. It's dimensions are 66cm tall, 196 cm across, 54cm deep. In the middle of it is a heat lamp that set for 32°c during 8am-6pm and a 24/h inferred night light set to 27°c they both turn of when they get to the temperature required

Just wondering how this looks so far and if I could get any advice on how to improve it

Her hide is on the left hand side, she's in there atm

Was planning on also making the enclosure go down into the right lower part of the display cabinet as someone told said she might like to hide away in there as well

IMG20190507113823.jpg

IMG20190507115152.jpg

IMG20190507115204.jpg
[doublepost=1557195776,1557194639][/doublepost]Can't post the photo of her hide, wont allow me to add another photo to the server?

Its a Pretty nice set up you have there. The mesh could be letting out a little too much heat. but if your in a warmer climate like Qld or something should be ok. other than that if you don't see her actively basking I'd move the hide under the heat (after 2-3 week period if you have just put her in the enclosure). Can't tell how big she is from these photos so if shes a yearling or younger this enclosure is little too big, so probably don't need to extend it. Hopefully others will give their opinions because I always feel inadequate myself when taking care of animals. Usually its finding what works for the animal. If it falls within the care guide and the animal uses your enrichment in its daily routine and it doesn't get too cold at night them i'd say its fine.

Its a Pretty nice set up you have there. The mesh could be letting out a little too much heat. but if your in a warmer climate like Qld or something should be ok. other than that if you don't see her actively basking I'd move the hide under the heat (after 2-3 week period if you have just put her in the enclosure). Can't tell how big she is from these photos so if shes a yearling or younger this enclosure is little too big, so probably don't need to extend it. Hopefully others will give their opinions because I always feel inadequate myself when taking care of animals. Usually its finding what works for the animal. If it falls within the care guide and the animal uses your enrichment in its daily routine and it doesn't get too cold at night them i'd say its fine.

Thank you for responding

Yeah I was thinking that could be the case but I should have that fixed up shortly In NSW, Oh thank you, I will try that, that is not her main enclosure, I can't figure out how to upload that one. She will be 5 years next month and I haven't actually measured her yet, to be completely honest

Thank you for that
[doublepost=1557198277,1557198190][/doublepost]Sorry forgot to add she tends to bask in betweens the two lights on the branch, so I will try your suggestion

its more preference for you then if she basks and she sheds well then it should be fine (add another hide if you decide to go for the basking spot on the opposite end). Sometimes you can gauge whether they are comfortable basking if they move away from their basking spot when you open the enclosure. If they are super chill sometimes they'll even let you touch them (with a hook or you may get a bite) and if they don't move away from that then its likely they are ok with their set up. especially love your enrichment though. One thing about it I would add is get a much larger water bowl so they have an option to have a dip. I've found the bigger the dish the more likely they are to drink but that could be just what I've seen. (Just don't try moving enrichment everything too often) I don't know how long you've had her but you can learn their personalities and can be surprisingly interesting learning what they like, As well as useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back