Spencers monitor Temperatures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timothyng1998

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ive recently gotten a pair of adult spencers monitor and just want to double check if my temps are good.
I run a day time basking spot at 55c for 10 hours a day, and they have a heated hide that is heated at night to keep it at 24c. Are these good temps for cooling the pair for breeding?
I'm in melbourne and its been quite cold for the past few days.
Thanks!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110a.jpg

Beautiful looking animals mate. Can't help with temps as i have never kept them but that looks like a great little setup you have. Any further pictures of it?

I'd reduce the hours of the basking temperatures and the overnight temperature during winter. We're not at the coldest time of year yet, but during June and July particularly I'd cut it right down for at least 2-4 weeks and gradually increase/decrease it either side of that very cold time.

If you're in Melbourne they're probably going to notice the temperature away from the basking area dropping, so they'll probably know what's going on with the seasons anyway, but you might as well make it obvious for them. They come from very harsh climates so are pretty tough. At this time of year that basking temperature is good but in the warmer months, ideally you could increase it. But 55 will do. It can be a bit tricky to get large basking spots up to high temperatures. Expensive too.

Nice looking setup and a couple of happy looking monitors you have there.

Thanks! I've been told that these are from Queensland and they like it nice and warm, so Im not sure how cold is too cold.

Thanks! I've been told that these are from Queensland and they like it nice and warm, so Im not sure how cold is too cold.

In their natural range in QLD they have very hot summers, cool winter days and cold winter nights which can be below zero. Most of their distribution is in QLD, but it's not in the tropical north or the mild climate on the east coast where most of the people in QLD live, it's in the harsh central and western QLD desert with very extreme weather, where very few people live because the conditions are too extreme. If you've ever driven through that area you'll know what I mean! It's very dry all year, the sun is extreme, and that dry, barren, inland landscape with clear night skies chills down pretty hard in winter. The average temperature around the middle of their distribution in QLD in the middle of winter is around 15 degrees. Nighttime lows are much lower and often fall below zero. Of course, when the temperature is below zero these things aren't sitting up in a tree on top of an exposed rock, so they never actually experience sub zero temperatures unless they get lost or do something stupid and kill themselves. Generally they'll be underground or in a very sheltered spot.

Amazing set up! I love the amount of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back