How intelligent are monitors?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can pretty much guarentee that lacies are the smartest reptiles I have dealt with. Beardies lose sight of a bug and forget about it,Frillies will go in the opposite direction to round it up, but Lacies know their own name and will come when called.

I've had very smart bearded dragons who don't forget there is a bug if it gets away from them, sure they've waited for me catch it for them , but if I don't cooperate , they've then started searching for it (even if it's hiding and very still) and some have even known their name and came when called . '
Same with water skinks …. I'm pretty sure they can also count (at least seem to , if I short change the skink at a meal , I get "the stare" and they head nod at me).

I'm not saying beardies are stupid, my 10YO knows his name as do some of the others; they come running when I tell them there are vegies.Even my pygmies know their name. But as my experience grows (and my collection) I have noticed certain behavioural patterns that certain species show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back