UVB bulb

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krinchley

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So it's getting to that time where I need to change my bearded dragons uv bulb. What is the best option going to be for a replacement?
I've had the same compact one that came with the enclosure and animal about 7 months ago.

Unfortunately there is no cheap fix.Reptile one or Exo terra are about your only choice.There are other brands but......
If you have enough height in your enclosure I would recommend going for a MVB ,it's a 3 in 1 globe but can't be used with a
thermo. I use an Exo Terra 125W Solar Glo for some of my enclosures.

It's only a 3x2 atm unfortunately so not all that much height.
[doublepost=1558267612,1558266571][/doublepost]If you were to pick one globe to use for uvb what would it be? I don't need anything to add any heat as I've got that side of things taken care of

It's only a 3x2 atm unfortunately so not all that much height.
[doublepost=1558267612,1558266571][/doublepost]If you were to pick one globe to use for uvb what would it be? I don't need anything to add any heat as I've got that side of things taken care of

Hi, the compact UVB bulbs are virtually useless, the amount of UVB they emit is quite low, the area it covers is minimal, much better are the fluorescent UVB tubes, they only need to be around 2/3rds the enclosure length (in your case a 60cm (approx.) tube would be fine).. You will also require a T5 batten to house the tube... Here`s a link for the tube. You can also use a T8 tube, both should be fitted with a reflector.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zoo-Med...888882&hash=item2a8cdd05aa:g:IIcAAOSwn7Jc1kog

Last edited:
Hi, the compact UVB bulbs are virtually useless, the amount of UVB they emit is quite low, the area it covers is minimal, much better are the fluorescent UVB tubes, they only need to be around 2/3rds the enclosure length (in your case a 60cm (approx.) tube would be fine).. You will also require a T5 batten to house the tube... Here`s a link for the tube. You can also use a T8 tube, both should be fitted with a reflector.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zoo-Med...888882&hash=item2a8cdd05aa:g:IIcAAOSwn7Jc1kog
[
This is not true.

In the past the only options for using compact UVB globes was to mount a naked globe from the lid or use a reflector dome to mount it.
The naked globe provided some UV in all directions in an unfocused manner - refer to UV report for more details. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm
UVBandUVI-spreadchart-NOdome.gif

The reptile had to be able get very close to the naked compact UVB globe to get sufficient UVA & UVB.

Mounting the compact UVB globes in a parabolic shaped reflector dome has the benefit of focusing and directing all the UV down towards where the basking spot should be and will essentially double the UVA & UVB at any given distance from the compact UVB globe cf a naked globe. BUT the beam is very tight and wont cover very much ground so this is a less than optimal situation , much the same issue for MVBs too <== very focused beam of light + UVA + UVB that doesn't cover a large area.
UVBandUVI-spreadchart-largealudome.gif

typical 100W MVB
arcadia_chart_for_100_W_mvb.png

With the advent of micro sized hoods designed with built in reflector panels , compact UVB globes especially 26W UVB200 globes are a very good option for a smaller viv.
I have my hatchling bearded dragons and my water skinks in 120L ALLSET tubs , each lizard's tub has an ExoTerra NanoHood with an ExoTerra 26W UVB200 globe in it , the hoods are fastened very easily using self drilling self tapping hexhead timber screws (only needs 4 per hood) under the tub lids.
The coverage is very good for this situation and I've set up basking spots 10" below the globe for the water skinks and 6-8" below the globe for the bearded dragon hatchlings. I monitor the UVA and UVB using my Model 6.2 and Model 4.2 Solarmeters. I am getting 50 microW UVB / sq.cm at the back end of my tubs furthest from the UVB200 globe.

I think if you have a small viv , up to 3 feet long and maybe up to 18" tall, then a 26W UVB200 in a NanoHood (NOT A DOME REFLECTOR) is a good solution for most species of dragon and skink to provide good levels of UVA and UVB and nice UV gradient from very high at the basking spot to low in "cool zone".

If you choose to use a compact UV globe , the only good globes available are those made by Exo Terra , Zoo Med and Arcadia Reptile , give shop brand (Chinese / cheap) clones are very wide berth as they are never as good as they are cracked up to be , rarely as robust or long lasting , and because they are made cheap and nasty have very poor UV spectra , poor quality quartz glass used in the making of the "globes" and very cheap poor grade phospors internally and will harm the reptile.
A comparison of some UV sources from elsewhere
compare_uvb_w_reflectors_distance_curves.png

If the tank is at least 3ft long a T8 or T5ho UVB tube (like made by Exo Terra , Zoo Med or Arcadia Reptile) is the best solution , the tube should be sized T8 or T5HO and of a UV rating sufficient to provide sufficient UVA & UVB at the basking spot and good UV gradient though most the length and width of the tank, a reflector hood is an excellent investment , or if you choose to "cheap out" and use a domestic batten (remember to toss the plastic shield away - it will block all the UV) and to invest in a slip on reflector (this will essentially double the UV at any distance).

Good idea to keep the UV tube to no more than 3/4 the length of the tank, the reptile can then move to an area of zero or very low UV if it needs to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back