Phillips 60w light help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genos

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the phillips 60w spotlight would keep the regular 35 degrees without a thermostat or an analog timer turning it off? Just wondering as my analog timer is as loud as a truck and really annoying in my room. Also has anyone done calculations on how much the 60w's cost in general to run throughout the year? Thanks in advance
[doublepost=1561426841,1561426272][/doublepost]would the lower 40w keep a more regular temp?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the phillips 60w spotlight would keep the regular 35 degrees without a thermostat or an analog timer turning it off? Just wondering as my analog timer is as loud as a truck and really annoying in my office. Also has anyone done calculations on how much the 60w's cost in general to run throughout the year? Thanks in advance
[doublepost=1561426841,1561426272][/doublepost]would the lower 40w keep a more regular temp?

How hot it will keep your basking spot and enclosure depends on the temperature of the room, the amount of air flow, the insulation of the enclosure, the size of the enclosure and the distance between the globe and your basking spot. To calculate this is almost impossible, and without any of the data it is literally impossible. Without any data it's not even easy to make a guess.

There are plenty of timers available, an option is to buy a quieter one.

A 60W spotlight will chew up 1 kWh (kilowatt hour) every 16.67 hours. A 40W spotlight will chew up 1 kWh every 25 hours. You can check your electricity bill to see how much you get charged per kWh.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know where the bills are kept I'm still only 16 so not up to paying bills yet and I'm new to snake keeping. Also I can't find measuring tape on hand to give a size. how ever I can say that the basking spot ends up getting 40 with the 60w which is what the laser gun says. however when I change the material of what the basking spot is it changes the temperature to 31. so i guess that doesn't change the ambient temperature? Been through new and old analog timers the motor always seems to get louder no matter the model or brand. maybe I'm not trying the correct one. Been keeping my hatchling in its small enclosure with the timer on and of with a heat mat (getting perfect temps and sheds and what not). but I wanted to have everything ready for when its a little bigger. Its some black melamine enclosure that has been scrapped of its on and off thermostat and with all the holes in it I thought it was a good way to practice for being an electrician. the one I got from the side of the road is not dissimilar to the one pictures below however mine only has the 3 round vents. pretty much same sizeimg_0316_2.jpg

Well, without knowing what you're paying for your electricity (it's different in different places, and in the same place depending on who you sign up with) it's impossible to say how much you pay for electricity! When I was about 15 or 16 I had a school assignment to estimate the amount of electricity my home used. I checked the wattage of literally every electrical appliance in the house, estimated the number of hours per month they were active, checked the electricity bill, and amazingly I was only about 3% off. It would be a little more difficult these days (back then most homes didn't even have a single computer in them, things were a lot simpler, and electricity was charged at a much more consistent rate). If you're interested in getting a handle on how much it costs to run electrical items it might be an interesting thing to do. You'll be an adult soon enough and paying your own electricity bills, and if you understand how it all works you'll be doing better than most people :)

If you're going to be keeping animals, especially reptiles, get yourself a tape measure and become familiar with lengths/physical dimensions. It's pretty important and very easy. I'd have thought they'd be teaching you about that at school. I suppose any holes in the education system these days shouldn't surprise me, but it's worth being familiar with this for your own sake.

Correct, different materials can change the nature of the basking spot but probably won't appreciably change the ambient temperature in the enclosure.

I'd definitely be using a thermostat rather than a timer for a heat mat used for a hatchling. I would be giving a hatchling snake 24 hour heat and not using a timer. I strongly recommend you to do this. You can probably use the same thermostat later in your big enclosure.

Not sure about timer brands. I definitely remember having issues with noisy timers back in the 90s and early 00s, and then new ones hit the market which were much better; quieter and more reliable, and also cheaper. I suppose these days everything seems to be getting lower in quality (why make something good at a trivial cost when by dropping the price from trivial to ridiculously and pointlessly low you can drop the quality to painfully bad, right?) and I haven't bought a timer recently. It's a shame if we've gone from being able to buy cheap timers to being back to being stuck with garbage on the market.

Not sure what species of snake you're keeping, but most of the snakes people keep don't need high temperature basking spots. That's more of a lizard thing.

Sounds like you're an inquisitive and thoughtful young individual, keep learning and having fun :)

I just couldn't find a measuring tape if I wanted to the garage is a mess. but I actually have been using a heat mat( not a dimmer) thermostat but at the start it was a timer for off and on for 15 minutes every half hour I think and was getting correct temps all day all night. its a Darwin carpet by the way. Just wondering if you're against ad-libing for ambient temp meaning just feeling the air to see if it feels nice? The current temp for the basking spot which is directly over the hide (bulb is 30 cm away from the hide) is 30-35 (I have a handmade polar fleece hammock covering half the hide), the cool end hide is 18-19. so I like the look of the temps but any advice would be appreciated!

I just couldn't find a measuring tape if I wanted to the garage is a mess.

Pipe on down to your local $2 shop, Reject Shop, hardware store or whatever and you'll be able to pick on up for a couple of bucks.

but I actually have been using a heat mat( not a dimmer) thermostat but at the start it was a timer for off and on for 15 minutes every half hour I think and was getting correct temps all day all night.

I can't quite understand this, but if you simply had a heat mat on a timer with a 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off routine and your temperature was stable, you must have it in a room with a very stable temperature. You definitely wouldn't get away with that in my home town!

its a Darwin carpet by the way. Just wondering if you're against ad-libing for ambient temp meaning just feeling the air to see if it feels nice?

It's your snake and your choice, and hey, you seem to be getting good results, but it's definitely worth having a thermometer if you're going to keep reptiles, and it sounds like you are using a thermometer anyway. In the majority of cases, simply using your hand to say 'it feels good' isn't really a good method, especially as a beginner.

The current temp for the basking spot which is directly over the hide (bulb is 30 cm away from the hide) is 30-35 (I have a handmade polar fleece hammock covering half the hide), the cool end hide is 18-19. so I like the look of the temps but any advice would be appreciated!

It's a little difficult to picture your setup. '30-35' at the hot end and '18-19' at the cool end will generally work nicely.

Fair enough. I'll test the bulb setup and see how her sheds goes or whether she moves to the cooler end more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back