do all geckos lose their tails?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner the dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
was just wondering if all geckos drop their tails. I'm thinking of getting one was wondering if they all do or if there some that don't. if there are some that don't drop tails what are they ?
i tried google but it just tells me what to do if they drop

N Amyae don’t seem to, but that’s not much of a tail anyway,....

Some are more prone to it than others, but I believe all geckoes can drop (autotomise) their tails. Most of the species which in captivity make reasonably good handlers are not prone to dropping them in captivity.

The little g.hyra dubia I had for observation for a couple of weeks never dropped his tail , even when I held him in my hand or when he made his great escape the other night and disappeared under the lounge or some other furniture.

I've handled several in my time (mostly when I was a kid) and only saw one drop it's tail on being caught. Dropping the tail is an expensive thing for a lizard to do , as it takes a lot of energy and food to regenerate a tail.

I have been told , like some skinks, geckos will sometimes drop a tail when laying a clutch of eggs , or when confronted by / chased off by a dominant gecko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back