Sudden Bearded dragon behaviour change

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner the dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
2DDDB42E-F48E-481D-A37C-5F3D51405C04.jpeg My young bearded dragon has be acting off lately he been going to bed early he likes to bury himself in he bedding. He done this for 3 days in a row. This morning I came home from work to feed him. I went to pick him up which I’ve done number of times. He flattened out and puffed up at me black bearded and all won’t lie frightened me. I tried patting him with he food tongs and he still not having it. He in he cooler side of the tank as well which isn’t normal. I left him alone for now to calm down gave him some veggies and water. Any advice ? I’m worried he becoming aggressive

He could be trying to brumate and cool down and you keep disturbing him and pissing him off XD

But i dont keep or work with beardies so wouldnt know, but you said he is digging/burying under the substrate and staying there

He could be trying to brumate and cool down and you keep disturbing him and pissing him off XD

But i dont keep or work with beardies so wouldnt know, but you said he is digging/burying under the substrate and staying there
Yea he only dose that at night. When light go out normally I only had him for about 2 months it’s my first reptile so I’m not sure about it all

@dragonlover1 is the beardie expert here

But from what i've seen on previous threads, they will 100% know when its time to cool down and start bunkering up

Very true he calmed down now I’m just leaving alone for the day he running around he tank atm. He tank sides are all non reflective except the front where I open it up. I thought it was a territorial thing but not sure. He buries himself night for the heat Mat I for got to mention that part. Maybe should I change he lighting times ? He light turn off about 820 pm and turn on about 800 am

Hi Conner, first up how old is your dragon? and what temps are you running? Also your location ?
He about 3-4 months I believe. They guy I bought him off said he was about 1 month when i got him in May.
Hot spot is 38 degrees Celsius.Cooler spot is about 23 degrees Celsius
I’m in Melbourne Australia.

Ok ,increase your hot spot to about 40C or a little more if possible, cool end should be about 28.
I turn on my UV at 6 and heat at 7,heat off at 5 and UV off at 7 in winter for babies. I try to keep babies awake through the first winter to make them bigger and stronger but sometimes no matter what you do they want to sleep,this is natural.
can we see your enclosure?

Yes of course.
I might get a hotter globe I use a 50w in the hot spot I was recommended it buy my pet shop.

CF1C6B84-5DB9-4E6E-BAF0-AD6E3EB6154E.jpeg

Oh no, not another victim of pet shop stupidity/greed. Red lights are rubbish. Take the advice of an old campaigner and go to bunnings or your nearest hardware store and buy some Philips spot lamps, available in various wattages for about $7 for 2 (better than $30-40 each) For that small tank I'd suggest 60W.
Keep in mind that you will have to get a bigger tank within the next year. Central beardies grow to about 40cm plus tail so a little tank like yours will be too small very quickly. Mine are in 120x60x60.
Next up,what is that white thing on the right side? is it a ceramic heat emitter? Where is your UV lamp?

He may just be having a hormone surge and noticed his own reflection who he's upset at , think uberhorny teenage boy and you'll get the idea.

I'd ditch that substrate too.

It's not a great substrate for bearded dragons , might be OK for skinks and geckos , holds moisture and not good if ingested , and his insects can hide in it too easily.

Play Sand, tiles , lino or paper sheets are your best substrates for a bearded dragon. Don't let the know nothing petshop sell you Calci-sand or Vita-sand (that stuff is lethal to dragons when ingested).

Can you tell us exactly what you are using to provide UV to your little dragon :
brand
type ( compact curly type , T8 linear , T5 linear , Mercury Vapor Globe (can't see one) )
wattage
UVB rating
in a reflector dome or a reflector hood
distance from the basking spot ?
I can't see one in the photo , where is it mounted ?
A very intense UVA & UVB source rated at least 10% UVB is mandatory for a healthy bearded dragon.
[doublepost=1562499887,1562499237][/doublepost]My big girl who I lost to cancer was 25 inches long. (63 cm long).

I’m assuming the white thing is giving off UV

The room is dark and that’s the lightest spot in the tank, it’s hard to tell but I’m pretty sure it’s lit up, and not just white ceramic heater

Oh no, not another victim of pet shop stupidity/greed. Red lights are rubbish. Take the advice of an old campaigner and go to bunnings or your nearest hardware store and buy some Philips spot lamps, available in various wattages for about $7 for 2 (better than $30-40 each) For that small tank I'd suggest 60W.
Keep in mind that you will have to get a bigger tank within the next year. Central beardies grow to about 40cm plus tail so a little tank like yours will be too small very quickly. Mine are in 120x60x60.
Next up,what is that white thing on the right side? is it a ceramic heat emitter? Where is your UV lamp?
My tank is 120x60x60 measured it to just double check. Yea it’s a ceramic heat lamp for when it gets really cold again the place I got him told me to do.
My uvb is on top of the mesh of the tank just one one side. I added a pic of the glob of the uvb my normal pet shop I go to told me and I do trust these guys all as they saved me so much money but they not experts on reptiles
Ps ignore the fish stuff in the back ground it’s not for Conner the lizard

67BAE44E-184C-4388-BD5B-24D5143C83CE.jpeg
[doublepost=1562546036,1562545202][/doublepost]2233CD06-6919-4319-9817-41F6E6F257B6.jpeg F8B4A5FA-C0AF-42A6-8F81-1C99008B6F8C.jpeg
My tank is 120x60x60 measured it to just double check. Yea it’s a ceramic heat lamp for when it gets really cold again the place I got him told me to do.
My uvb is on top of the mesh of the tank just one one side. Pic of top and my uvb globe
[doublepost=1562546303][/doublepost]I appreciate all the help. Regarding the play sand will any so or is there a particular one I need thanks for all the help and advice

Ok ,2 problems.Your UV is sitting on top of the mesh which means he is getting no UV, other thing is UV should be at the same end as the heat lamp so he gets both while basking. The UV you have is fine just in the wrong place.
A lot of people don't realize mesh cuts UV by up to 80-90%, also glass cuts UV so sitting near a window doesn't work either.
Washed play sand shouldn't matter which brand, just make sure you dry it out first because damp sand can cause RI (respiratory infection) a beardies worst nightmare

Ok ,2 problems.Your UV is sitting on top of the mesh which means he is getting no UV, other thing is UV should be at the same end as the heat lamp so he gets both while basking. The UV you have is fine just in the wrong place.
A lot of people don't realize mesh cuts UV by up to 80-90%, also glass cuts UV so sitting near a window doesn't work either.
Washed play sand shouldn't matter which brand, just make sure you dry it out first because damp sand can cause RI (respiratory infection) a beardies worst nightmare
I’ll have to figure something out now.and how to mount the uvb in the tank any tips ? Might need to get one of those curly globes what u think ?
[doublepost=1562582230,1562575584][/doublepost]E57DFF66-B222-4BB6-BB58-5144B53DF70E.jpeg Update for tank: new substrate half play sand (that is all dry) and half tiles and I’m happy with the outcome and so is Conner I’ll be fixing the uvb tomorrow morning after work and he temps are actually good I picked up a better quality thermometer and it’s all a ok
Thank you all so much
From me and Conner

1 way is to cut a hole in the mesh, an alternative is to mount it inside with some sort of bracket ,maybe a wooden support? Compact UV are good quality nowadays but you still have to come up with a way of mounting inside and you already have the 18" tube, which is a pity because you would have been better off with a 3' tube in your 4' enclosure so UV is everywhere

1 way is to cut a hole in the mesh, an alternative is to mount it inside with some sort of bracket ,maybe a wooden support? Compact UV are good quality nowadays but you still have to come up with a way of mounting inside and you already have the 18" tube, which is a pity because you would have been better off with a 3' tube in your 4' enclosure so UV is everywhere
It’s all fixed now
Uv is above basking spot basking spot is nice a hot
And happy one spoiled bearded dragon
Thank you all for your help and inputs

9BDEADF9-DCB2-480E-8C52-5B02B6A1EF61.jpeg
pics please
Hey here the tank now the new uvb is very bright so it makes it look like the other one not on
I feel like he not happy with he new light he been hiding a lot more and not basking there as much again any tip?
Or will he get used it it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back