Jungle/Coastal Feeding Issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Colbert

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Big hello to everyone,

I know in my part of Australia and part of the world snakes are hybernating or brumanating depending on your word of choice and can be picky feeders.

My 7 year old Jungle Coastal Cross has eat two Adult Rats in about 4 months and is so picky.

Are there any signs I can look for to see if he is hungry without defrosting a $30 rat and it going to waste?

Thank you for your help in advance

Kind regards Rob

No need to feed it, it’s winter

No worries mate my concern would be and I don’t know if this is true but if you cooled the snake the food will rot in its guts and potentially kill it. Snake knows best

I got a couple yearling girls I feed they digested on night heat now I put them in cooling tubs and wait till they empty out before introducing male, when they start to pace.

Thanks for your kind reply I’m not the snake whisper but ive seen questions like this before and simple answer is to cold for them.

No worries mate my concern would be and I don’t know if this is true but if you cooled the snake the food will rot in its guts and potentially kill it. Snake knows best

I got a couple yearling girls I feed they digested on night heat now I put them in cooling tubs and wait till they empty out before introducing male, when they start to pace.

Thanks for your kind reply I’m not the snake whisper but ive seen questions like this before and simple answer is to cold for them.

Great information. Much appreciated and taken on board

Are there any signs I can look for to see if he is hungry without defrosting a $30 rat and it going to waste?

Are you throwing the rat away after the snake refuses the food?

You can refreeze the rat and use it again. When any of my snakes refuse food, I put the mouse/rat in a clip seal plastic bag and write the date and the snake that refused the feed on the bag.
I defrost it again after three months and offer it back to the same snake.

Are you throwing the rat away after the snake refuses the food?

You can refreeze the rat and use it again. When any of my snakes refuse food, I put the mouse/rat in a clip seal plastic bag and write the date and the snake that refused the feed on the bag.
I defrost it again after three months and offer it back to the same snake.

G'day Nick. Yes I have either been feeding my other python or throwing them away.

I wasn't sure how long or if I could keep them. Thank you for the advice. I will certainly give it a go

It is more of a case of making sure that they have been frozen long enough to kill any bacteria etc.

Just wondering where you are paying 30$ for a rat :O better be a dog-sized rat :p

i recommend Rodent farm, as they ship everywhere in Aus and their prices are unbeatable (unless you're friends with a breeder)

http://www.rodentfarm.com.au/

I usually buy $300 bulk for the free shipping

8wvbzWi.png

Unit Quantity: 4 (equivalent to 4 standard packs)
Unit Size: 250g-450g
Total Weight: 1kg (approx.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back