Diamond Python hatchling setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanilla_timtam

Reaction score
Screenshot_20190730-082156_Gallery.jpg
Hi all. I just got my diamond python hatchling about a month ago and this is my current setup for him. Please let me know if I set it up correctly. I place the thermostat inside ( I was told not to sandwich it between the bottom glass and the heat pad ), half way burried.
My python was on newspaper bedding and yesterday I just introduced kritters crumble (fine). It doesn't seem to like it, it does not want its head to touch the ground. Shall I give it time or change back to newspaper?
Thank you. Please no harsh comment as everyone has to start somewhere.

View attachment 327490 Hi all. I just got my diamond python hatchling about a month ago and this is my current setup for him. Please let me know if I set it up correctly. I place the thermostat inside ( I was told not to sandwich it between the bottom glass and the heat pad ), half way burried.
My python was on newspaper bedding and yesterday I just introduced kritters crumble (fine). It doesn't seem to like it, it does not want its head to touch the ground. Shall I give it time or change back to newspaper?
Thank you. Please no harsh comment as everyone has to start somewhere.

Hi
What are you using to attach the thermostat the the inside of the enclosure?
With the substrate, maybe go back to newspaper and start gradually introducing the kritters crumble.
There just may be a lot of new sensations so it might be still getting used to it

Hi
What are you using to attach the thermostat the the inside of the enclosure?
With the substrate, maybe go back to newspaper and start gradually introducing the kritters crumble.
There just may be a lot of new sensations so it might be still getting used to it

A small desk-sticky tape. I taped it on the glass to make sure it stays there. Please let me know if this is unsafe for my python. I will remove it immediately. Any alternative on where I shall place it or what other substance I should use to keep it on the glass? Your input very much appreciated.
I guess you're right. I shouldn't put that much kritters crumble yet... I'll take them some out in 2 days if my python is still not getting used to it.

A small desk-sticky tape. I taped it on the glass to make sure it stays there. Please let me know if this is unsafe for my python. I will remove it immediately. Any alternative on where I shall place it or what other substance I should use to keep it on the glass? Your input very much appreciated.
I guess you're right. I shouldn't put that much kritters crumble yet... I'll take them some out in 2 days if my python is still not getting used to it.

Sticky tape is quite unsafe for the snake, it can get stuck to the snake and can be quite painful and could potentially pull out scales when it is removed.

My snake is currently in its full time enclosure and I made a little box that the thermostat probe and thermometer probe could fit under and siliconed it to the tile that has the heat mat underneath. That way I could still sticky tape the probes without my snake having access to it. Silicon could be a potential thing to use but it needs a while to dry and to not smell or be dangerous for the snake. Im sure there are other alternatives that are less work intensive than mine

I would recommend some silicone to hold the probe Down but you will need to wait for fumes to move

Diamond pythons are an arboreal species and love branches and perches to climb on

Diamond pythons are an arboreal species and love branches and perches to climb on

Then maybe I should have given him some time to get used to the kritters crumble right? I'll shop around this weekend to find a good branch. Thanks for the advise.

The reaction to a new substrate is normal, although tut can vary between species, my darwin would dig under it and pop her head out!

If you can get some pieces of thick dowel wood, and make a hole on each end of tub and just pass it through , works well, just make sure the dowel can’t fall in or out! :)

You can walk outside and grab a branch. It doesn't have to come from a shop. A dead branch is probably better than a live one.
Oh I heard you will need to put them in the oven for quiet some time to kill all the bacteria right?
I think my wife would kill me if I put a branch in her oven. Hahahaha

i would worry too much if the stick is clean. You could put it in a plastic bag in the sun to kill any badies but odds are anything on a stick wont hurt your snake anything more than a stick from a shop might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back