Best Bhp artificial incubation techniques

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aido09

Reaction score
Hi all. Was hoping to get a little info on the current prefered method of incubating bhp eggs. I was leaning towards the over water (with thin layer of perlite and 60 to 70 percent humidity) method as suggested by Tyronne from ts bhps. My first post on here and would like to thankyou all for the great information you share. Thanks in advance guys. Cheers

Hi Aido09

I havnt incubated BHP eggs but for my carpets I use the over water method but use water crystals in place of the water. I sterilise everything in around 82 degrees water including the water I use with the water crystals. It may seem over the top but I have never had a problem with mold or anything so highly recommend doing this. The humidity seems very high with this method and may not suit BHPs. Someone who has experience with that species may be able to give you more info

Thanks heaps southernserpent. I will take your method on board for my carpets for sure. No chance of the water crystals splashing water if bumped. Thats gold. Yeah i keep reading that bhps need to be a dryer humidity. All the accessable information is a little old.

I have been incubating multiple clutches of carpet eggs for years with the over water system, no perlite or water crystals, the water is underneath a plastic mesh and you just have to be careful if you move the boxes. You can adjust the humidity by air vents so maintaining 70% should not be an issue. I sterilise everything (except the eggs) and use boiled water, never had any mould. Never had any problems apart from a failed aircon last year let it get a bit hot for a short time and some eggs hatched early but the hatchies were all good. I have used various egg containers including food steamers but now mostly converted baby bottle sterilisers, I always leave the clutch intact and find they all hatch together within a short period just as they do with maternal incubation.
IMG_2396.jpg IMG_2497.jpg IMG_5949.jpg

I have been incubating multiple clutches of carpet eggs for years with the over water system, no perlite or water crystals, the water is underneath a plastic mesh and you just have to be careful if you move the boxes. You can adjust the humidity by air vents so maintaining 70% should not be an issue. I sterilise everything (except the eggs) and use boiled water, never had any mould. Never had any problems apart from a failed aircon last year let it get a bit hot for a short time and some eggs hatched early but the hatchies were all good. I have used various egg containers including food steamers but now mostly converted baby bottle sterilisers, I always leave the clutch intact and find they all hatch together within a short period just as they do with maternal incubation.
View attachment 327599 View attachment 327601 View attachment 327602
[doublepost=1566908809,1566907203][/doublepost]Oh mate i really want you to know how much i appreciate your insightful and extremely generous reply. It gives me great hope that i can do right for my beautiful bhp girl. I have been quite stressed about it. Trying to lower the humidity by at least 20% has proven a challenge. Just when it drops low or near the 70% range the water dissapears altogether. That was using the water over method in a 5 litre container with around 100ml of water. But as you seem to be suggesting i can control the humidity via ventilation possibly rather than a lack of water. Ill add some more holes and more water this time. Actually ill bump up the tub size to s 10 litre too. Mate congratulations on your well deserved success and once again thankyou for the great knowledge you have given. All the best yellowtail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back