Breeding Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomahawk7

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have noticed a major shortage of available Aussie monitors in the Colorado area. I’ve found lots of Nile and Savanna monitors. I’m thinking of getting a breeding pair of Ackies or a pair of Argus Monitors. This would be my first time breeding monitors but I’ve successfully bred Desert Black Cobras and Mayan Coral snakes (both elapids). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It largely depends on what monitors you're planning to keep. Ackies would probably be easier because of their small size. Know this, though, keeping and breeding monitors is a very different kettle of fish compared to keeping and breeding snakes! That bearing said, why not try to breed Nile or Savanna Monitors? They may be somewhat common in the states, but they're mostly wild caught imports. Captive breeding by dedicated keepers would definitely be a good thing for the hobby.

Thanks Nero,
Savannah and Nile monitors are a dime a dozen here. It been hard to locate Mangrove Monitors but I would be highly interested in breeding those. The rarest around these parts (that I would be interested in) are Lace, Ackies, Sand and Black tree monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back