Feeding Undersized Coastal Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonNoobe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I took a few pictures this is the size of my 18 month old!
As you can see the head is not very big. I saw a 80cm long 8 month old at a store today.

Have been feeding two normal sized (4cm) pinkie rats a week in a double feeding. I purchased some big pinkies today the Ones along the bottom of the bag are 6cm long, head (right on top of the bag) included for comparison.

Fuzzy rats seem way to big as has only eaten the usual 4cm pinkie rats so needs to learn to eat bigger.......
Im going to try one large 6cm pinkie and one 4cm pinkie in a double feed tomorrow.

I assume feeding every 5 days instead of 7 trying to get the calories up is a NO NO?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

Go onto something bigger around 20g+

Pinkies have next to 0 nutritional value so, the snake will grow very slowly
They can start of hopper mice from hatching

full
heres a pic from yellow tail showing a baby "picking" its meal - these are mice from pinky, inbetween, fuzzy, hopper, weaner, adult

your 18mth old looks like a 6mth old :p

Go onto something bigger around 20g+

Pinkies have next to 0 nutritional value so, the snake will grow very slowly
They can start of hopper mice from hatching

Ok kewl thanks. Mine does not look much bigger than a hatchling?
Is it true its hard to get them to change to rats from mice as they like the smell of mice so much better? That was stopping me from going to fuzzy mice.

I agree up to a velvet or hopper size rat. There is no rush to put size on her I wouldn't be surprised if she was a year younger than you where told.

My 9 month old is a little bigger than yours! I’m feeding him fuzzy mice once a week. I’m told the growth factor has all to do with what you feed and how often. When did you purchase him and how often were they feeding him?
I bought my albino Darwin from kellyville pets and they sold me fuzzy mice not pinkies.

My 9 month old is a little bigger than yours! I’m feeding him fuzzy mice once a week. I’m told the growth factor has all to do with what you feed and how often. When did you purchase him and how often were they feeding him?
I bought my albino Darwin from kellyville pets and they sold me fuzzy mice not pinkies.
Fuzzy mice are also too small, kellyville feeds small so they can keep them in the small enclosures longer

I agree up to a velvet or hopper size rat. There is no rush to put size on her I wouldn't be surprised if she was a year younger than you where told.

Yes I had wondered about that before with the moving of registrations around with snakes it did seem to be left over registration (I had seen rego tags mixed up there, so its possible). So maybe only coming up to a year old. I did see a 8 month old that was 80cm at another store bigger head and body much wider and taller, so that was a bit of a shock compared to mine.
[doublepost=1566085842,1566084833][/doublepost]

Pinkie rats, (im pretty sure the wrong rego was given and mine is 9 months old). Took until end of 3 weeks that she ate (1 pinkie rat) (So that was 4 weeks not eating), then over the next weeks gave 1,2,2,1(this was during shed),2 last Sunday. The last few feedings where 5-6 days apart. after the first 2 feeds I gave double feeds shes 56grams So with the double pinkies (5-6 grams each defrosted) was getting a good feed. I even have some larger ones (9-10 grams) which ill mix in with the smaller ones for feeds from now.

She was good at eating to start with now comes straight over and grabs it, even the second one.
[doublepost=1566086151][/doublepost]
full
heres a pic from yellow tail showing a baby "picking" its meal - these are mice from pinky, inbetween, fuzzy, hopper, weaner, adult

your 18mth old looks like a 6mth old :p

Yer the rego must have been old one, was wondering about that as the logging had been stopped a year ago and all there the records of other snake (the ones from the same hatch) where younger and recorded sheds where up to date.

I feed my hatchling carpets approx 10gm fuzzy mice from their very first feed, pinkies have very little substance and I know they are necessary for some smaller species hatchlings but not carpets. From your photo Pythonnoobe I would be feeding it large hopper or weaner mice approx 20gm, mice have a smaller head than equivalent weight rats and they can handle them easily.
Nice photo Bl69aze, looks like one of mine.
Since I started selling rodents I have been shocked by the number of people feeding very small, even pinky mice and rats to quite large pythons and even after I politely suggest larger sizes they still persist. There is also this myth that pinky rats are better because pythons will get hooked on mice and never eat rats. I started keeping snakes in the 1950's and I have never had a snake of any species that would not take either mice or rats (or quail) when offered. I regularly feed my yearling pythons adult mice or hopper rats, sometimes one of each, depending on what I am gassing or defrosting at the time and if I have adult mice left over I often give them to older pythons as an appetiser before a large rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back