Snake not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eason

Reaction score
So we have a Stimson's python who for the past 6 weeks has shown no interest in its food? the heat mat is at a good temp but maybe the outside temp is too cold?? we have asked at the local pet shop and the guy in there said snake s can go up2 6 mth without food but our concern is we go away in few weeks for 6 weeks do we just leave him, he will be fine? or what do you guys recommend? bigger heat pad under the enclosure or ceramic bulb for heat or just leave him till weather warms up??Any help please

I would Frist be looking at your set up and checking your temps are right Frist. What is the age of your snake and if it in a size enclosure for his current size sometime putting a small snake into a large enclosure can make them feel insecure and scared so the want eat . Check the size of feed is not to big they can generally eat something that 3x the size of it eat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's winter, it's more normal for them not to eat at this time of year than for them to eat. If it's a healthy adult I would routinely leave them without feeding for about 6 months per year but I've had them go for about 2 years without eating.

If it's under a year old you may want to try to get it to feed but otherwise you're likely literally better off not trying for a while. Under normal conditions I don't try to feed pythons in August other than sub yearlings I want to grow rapidly, but even then I often leave them for a month off in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back