Smaller Lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat_111

Reaction score
Hi, thinking of getting a 30cm cube glass enclosure but don’t know what animal I would put in it? I want a lizard that will handle moderate handling, so not a gecko. Any suggestions?

Hi, thinking of getting a 30cm cube glass enclosure but don’t know what animal I would put in it? I want a lizard that will handle moderate handling, so not a gecko. Any suggestions?
really couldn't suggest any that are good with moderate handling that would fit in there. skinks are very skittish and are prone to dropping their tails, so while you may find some species small enough for that(if there's any that's easy to find in captivity?) none would probably do well with moderate handling.

really couldn't suggest any that are good with moderate handling that would fit in there. skinks are very skittish and are prone to dropping their tails, so while you may find some species small enough for that(if there's any that's easy to find in captivity?) none would probably do well with moderate handling.
Okay. Thank you for the advice :>

Pygmaeascincus timlowi

Lampropholis guichenoti

Saproscincus mustelinus

Lampropholis delicate … these tame up nicely , I had a wild caught colony as a child (in the 60s) and they happily took small insects (flies, white-ants, maggots, hoppers) from my hands and became very tame.

I think a 30cm cube is going to be too small though , I think at least 10L modified Tellfresh tub would be the minimum for one or two.

another option is a smaller species of legless skink , these tame up nicely , I had a wild caught one that mum found in a flower bed as a pet as a child (in the 60s) it happily took small insects ( white-ants, maggots, earthworms) from my hands and became very tame. Mine was about 2 feet long and I'm not sure it's species and had coloured banding.
A smaller example is Anomalopus swansoni

Last edited:
I can't see you keeping any type of handling lizard in a 30cm enclosure. Try a 60cm enclosure an you have more options, I keep pygmy beardies in 60x60x60 and although they aren't the most handleable, they do do tolerate it, you could also try some of the sand dragons. But you're probably better off going for a 90cm enclosure for a bigger choice.

Lampropholis delicate ( Itchy & Scratchy )

Were rescued in by my handyman when he was building my under-fence retaining wall in mid June.

Been planning on releasing them when the warmer weather returns and he's done working on my yard landscaping.

Itchy has been very active today , trying to get my attention, just checked and discovered a pill sized white egg has been laid . There I was thinking that she was just overfed and getting chubby.

P9090612.jpg

and egg #2 laid a few minutes ago
P9090617.jpg

Here's mum :
P9090615.jpg

Not so keen to go back into the tub, but she sure seems to like the warmth of my hand and arm.
I think there are still some eggs inside her judging from her lumps and bumps.
Ended up with 3 eggs.

Such a big eggs from such a small skink …. will be interesting to see if she lays any more eggs and if they are fertile.
Fortunately I'm in their natural range as a species , and I should be able to get away with just ambient room temperatures ( 24 degC to 26 degC ) to incubate the egg(s).

Since she's using calcium to make eggs, I've added a drop of CalciVet to the water dish to help her replentish her calcium levels and just ordered some housefly gents (rich in calcium).

Itchy and Scratchy are currently housed in a old cricket tub.
[doublepost=1568377074,1568031470][/doublepost]4 eggs as off today, loving the housefly maggots & 5mm crickets and tinnieweenie woodies.
[doublepost=1568819218][/doublepost]Released in my backyard now my concreting and carport , and my garden beds are all done and ready for filling.

Keeping the 8 eggs laid and hoping they are viable and I end up with some hatchling L.Delicata's .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back