handling tips

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekw

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hoping someone might have some handy tips or something i might have over looked when dealing with a pretty defensive little one. My super zeb isnt really calming down much at all and i know its prob just a time and size thing but perhaps there is something im not doing right also.
I have tried using a hook and that is ok to get him out and just going in for the grab. Either way results in the same response. I understand being bitten is part of having snakes and im not really worried about that but i feel he isnt getting used to being touched very well. He is kind of ok while on my hand and likes to try and get at my face but if i touch him with my thumb of other hand he almost leaps off me every time. Is it simply a time thing or is there something i could be doing to make it better?

He is in a tub at the moment so any time i go in he will be defensive and i understand why. I try to only handle twice a week as to not over handle him and stress him out. I feel things are not going anywhere and im frustrated by having this beautiful animal and being back to stage one each time i try and handle him.

Is there something i could be doing better?

Itl happen mate, my jungle jag was terrible for the first 6 months I had. Just took time and patience and now he’s such a lovely placid snake. You would never believe how much of a terror he was when young lol

Are they defensive bites or feeding bites?

Unfortunately jungles are notorious biters so you may have just got the loose end of stick

If it’s a feeding response bite, chances are you aren’t feeding it enough

Are they defensive bites or feeding bites?

Unfortunately jungles are notorious biters so you may have just got the loose end of stick

If it’s a feeding response bite, chances are you aren’t feeding it enough
Every bite has been defensive so far. Sure I don't like it but I expect it every time. Can't get him out without at least 1 or 3 tags lol. It's not pleasant and I feel I'm getting nowhere with him.
[doublepost=1568100061,1568099941][/doublepost]
Itl happen mate, my jungle jag was terrible for the first 6 months I had. Just took time and patience and now he’s such a lovely placid snake. You would never believe how much of a terror he was when young lol
My little guy is 9 months old already. I hope it passes quickly but I'm just not sure.
How old was yours when you got him?

He was 6-7 months old when I got him. I injured my knee at work n had to have surgery so for the 4 days I was stuck in bed after surgery I’d just handle him for an hour a day and after that 4 days he was a different python. I even let neighbours 3 year old hold him now, never would of trusted him when he was younger though. Getting tagged 1-3 times isn’t all that bad really. Id cop 20-30 from the little jag every time early on lol

So around the same age and attitude I guess lol. Well there maybe hope yet! I had read that 5 to 15 mins twice a week was enough but perhaps it's not. All I can try is more often with him I guess.
He is due for a feed and a enclosure clean tonight so will see how that goes lol.
Appreciate the help mate

I’ve had my 10 month old jungle for just over 2 months now and am just getting to hold her without getting hissed at or tagged. She wasn’t quite as bitey as yours sounds but she is super defensive and scared and any unexpected touch she leaps out of her skin and air snaps (I’ve just gotten better at not giving her a fright I think! Lol)
I’m handling mine for about 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a week but I try to read when she’s had enough. I did just 1-2 minutes to start with.

I’ve had my 10 month old jungle for just over 2 months now and am just getting to hold her without getting hissed at or tagged. She wasn’t quite as bitey as yours sounds but she is super defensive and scared and any unexpected touch she leaps out of her skin and air snaps (I’ve just gotten better at not giving her a fright I think! Lol)
I’m handling mine for about 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a week but I try to read when she’s had enough. I did just 1-2 minutes to start with.
Sounds like things are getting better for you mate. Pretty much the same behavior with my guy. Tonight was a lot better. My partner took him out while I cleaned the enclosure and he was no to bad. She only got tagged twice for trying to redirect him. Hopefully get a few more sessions like that in.
Biggest thing I'm seeing is I'm not getting him out enough.

Havent even had my jungle for a month and damn he was a **** i handled him twice a day 10 minute sessions and he used to strike in his enclosure if someone walked past or strike at anything and fly off hands and try to speed away but now i can put him right up to my face and he wpuldnt do anything he turned out pretty dosile pretty quick maybe i just got lucky

Havent even had my jungle for a month and damn he was a **** i handled him twice a day 10 minute sessions and he used to strike in his enclosure if someone walked past or strike at anything and fly off hands and try to speed away but now i can put him right up to my face and he wpuldnt do anything he turned out pretty dosile pretty quick maybe i just got lucky
Sounds like you got him to calm down pretty quickly. Is he cage defensive?

Only a little bit im only staring to transtion ftom hook to hand hes generally fine and has sometimes come on to my hand in a curious manner but everynow and then he just wraps his tail tightly on his perch and strike around my hand or body letting me know not today dad !! [emoji23][emoji23]

Am quite amazed but how quickly he calmed down

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Am quite amazed but how quickly he calmed down

That's neat
I expect a bite every time. I prefer the hook where my partner just grabs him. The last 3 times he hasn't bitten her when she grabs him but he makes up for that by getting her a few times while handling him or putting him back lol.
[doublepost=1568548236,1568548135][/doublepost]
Only a little bit im only staring to transtion ftom hook to hand hes generally fine and has sometimes come on to my hand in a curious manner but everynow and then he just wraps his tail tightly on his perch and strike around my hand or body letting me know not today dad !! [emoji23][emoji23]

How old is your jungle?

That's neat
I expect a bite every time. I prefer the hook where my partner just grabs him. The last 3 times he hasn't bitten her when she grabs him but he makes up for that by getting her a few times while handling him or putting him back lol.
Maybe just stick with hook for now and really read and learn his body language and always get him out quickly reducing stress and i recommend two 10 or 15 minute handling sessions one in the morning and one at night.
After about a week depending on him maybe go longer sessions but for my guy after a week no bites and easy to handle id give him off to friends confidently as well

That's neat
[doublepost=1568548236,1568548135][/doublepost]
How old is your jungle?
1 yr and a bit
d901f7de38cf55fcb78497912158e874.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just stick with hook for now and really read and learn his body language and always get him out quickly reducing stress and i recommend two 10 or 15 minute handling sessions one in the morning and one at night.
After about a week depending on him maybe go longer sessions but for my guy after a week no bites and easy to handle id give him off to friends confidently as well

Getting him out with the hook is easier for me but my partner gets in quick with the hand. You are right about being fast about it because he winds up fast if I'm not quick.
One thing is for sure if definitely not getting him out enough. I wanna wait until he feeds before I get him out again tho.

Getting him out with the hook is easier for me but my partner gets in quick with the hand. You are right about being fast about it because he winds up fast if I'm not quick.
One thing is for sure if definitely not getting him out enough. I wanna wait until he feeds before I get him out again tho.
Definitley on the right track man good luck

Check out Snake Discovery on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tTGSGwpBQ

Came across this channel the other day and have found it both educational and entertaining. The link above deals with a defensive Woma in the second part of the segment after the hog nose pythons. There's another youtube one for dealing with Arboreal snakes (as they're completely different to handle) in another link.

Came across this channel the other day and have found it both educational and entertaining. The link above deals with a defensive Woma in the second part of the segment after the hog nose pythons. There's another youtube one for dealing with Arboreal snakes (as they're completely different to handle) in another link.
Snake discovery is awesome

Watched this on the weekend. It's a cool channel hey
[doublepost=1569503799,1568598714][/doublepost]Had him out tonight for about 25 minutes and not a single bite. Just one strike while putting him back lol. I feel really happy about it as we are starting to make progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back