Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekw

Reaction score
How often do people feed juvenile snakes? I had been feeding my 9/10 month old super zebra weekly but his last 3 feeds have been difficult. So far I've wasted 3 rats that he was not interested in. He seems to be spacing out his own feeds now. He has a good sniff but just won't take them , leave them overnight and still won't eat them.
He last ate 03/09 and since then has refused 2 rats.
My question is that is waiting 2 weeks now between feeds ok for a snake his age? He is appropriate size and as far as I can tell in good health.

I was feeding my 6mth old Darwin weekling hoppers and she grew like a weed, not saying you cant go bigger, but thats what i fed her untill about 9-10mths then she started getting adult mice weekly

2 weeks is no big deal (as you know they can go months// a year when adults with no concerns), however they *should* feed when offered food unless they are in breeding state, in which food comes 2nd, breeding is priority

are you sure you are warming the food up enough? i leave my food in a ziplock bag in the sun untill its completely defrosted and no cold spots, and limp as a noodle and have never had a refused feed! also enclosure temps can play a part in whether they feed or not

Hopper rats are what I've been feeding also. I thought maybe I had been over heating them as I was using hot water and a zip lock bag but after watching some videos where everyone said warm water , not hot as it can cook them I tried that last night but he still would not take it.
Temps are 32deg on the hot spot 19deg cold end and 18 ambient with 45% humidity.
This is the longest he has refused food. Like you said they can go off for months but I didn't think young snakes would.
[doublepost=1568513283,1568506948][/doublepost]He takes it but then let's it go. Weird!

Very well could be in shed .feed him whenever u feel like it weekly , fortnightly , monthly doesnt have to be on a schedule depends how fast u want him to grow really just upsize the rat sizes every 6 or so feeds .. as for heating.. hot water straight from the tap dont over think it with baggys etc etc .. i literally fill a bucket with hot water straight from the tap chuck 20-30 rats in it.. wait 20min then feed no dramas i dont even dry them haha . If any sneks dont eat they in shed usually and the next one gets 2 dinners haha

2 our of 3 of my Snakes ate last night. Despite all being kept in the same conditions.

The one that did refuse food was the bigger female. The smaller male took his food. Both Murray Darlings.

She didn't even seem interested in food. Where as the other Snakes were at least somewhat moving around. She was just curled up in the one spot. She could be in shed but she didn't look dark or have milky eyes.

Unsure of the sex of the other Snake (Woma). But then... The Woma has NEVER refused a feed.

Not really worried about them refusing food these days as they're all at least 7+ years old and the leftovers go to the other Snakes or the Monitor. Not much if any gets wasted.

Been more worried about the Monitor being outside over Winter. But he's all good and took his first feed in 4 months yesterday so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Very well could be in shed .feed him whenever u feel like it weekly , fortnightly , monthly doesnt have to be on a schedule depends how fast u want him to grow really just upsize the rat sizes every 6 or so feeds .. as for heating.. hot water straight from the tap dont over think it with baggys etc etc .. i literally fill a bucket with hot water straight from the tap chuck 20-30 rats in it.. wait 20min then feed no dramas i dont even dry them haha . If any sneks dont eat they in shed usually and the next one gets 2 dinners haha
He only she a couple of weeks ago. Tried the defrosting in the sun method but he still didn't eat it. Maybe it's normal but he has good be hungry by now. Since he has been with me he hasn't gone this long without a feed. He hasn't been handled in a week so can't see why he could be stressed or anything.
Everyone says not to worry about it but it does stress me out. Not mention the waste of food.
[doublepost=1568518506,1568518346][/doublepost]
2 our of 3 of my Snakes ate last night. Despite all being kept in the same conditions.

The one that did refuse food was the bigger female. The smaller male took his food. Both Murray Darlings.

She didn't even seem interested in food. Where as the other Snakes were at least somewhat moving around. She was just curled up in the one spot. She could be in shed but she didn't look dark or have milky eyes.

Unsure of the sex of the other Snake (Woma). But then... The Woma has NEVER refused a feed.

Not really worried about them refusing food these days as they're all at least 7+ years old and the leftovers go to the other Snakes or the Monitor. Not much if any gets wasted.

Been more worried about the Monitor being outside over Winter. But he's all good and took his first feed in 4 months yesterday so I'm happy.
I noticed mine is starting to refuse food more and more. Previously I would try and he wasn't interested but the next day he would eat. This rat will be the 3rd in a week he hast taken.

He only she a couple of weeks ago. Tried the defrosting in the sun method but he still didn't eat it. Maybe it's normal but he has good be hungry by now. Since he has been with me he hasn't gone this long without a feed. He hasn't been handled in a week so can't see why he could be stressed or anything.
Everyone says not to worry about it but it does stress me out. Not mention the waste of food.
[doublepost=1568518506,1568518346][/doublepost]
I noticed mine is starting to refuse food more and more. Previously I would try and he wasn't interested but the next day he would eat. This rat will be the 3rd in a week he hast taken.

It really is nothing to worry about though. I have heard of Snakes that have just hatched go 7 months without food and yet never had an issue. Plus they still got to full size.

It really is nothing to worry about though. I have heard of Snakes that have just hatched go 7 months without food and yet never had an issue. Plus they still got to full size.
I really hope you're right. I don't have the energy left to be worried all the time.

@Derek dont worry too much mate . Put your hot spot up to 35 degrees .wont hurt eitherway but good chance might get him going again so nothing to loose. If not in shed temperature is the most common reason for not feeding the best .

@Derek dont worry too much mate . Put your hot spot up to 35 degrees .wont hurt eitherway but good chance might get him going again so nothing to loose. If not in shed temperature is the most common reason for not feeding the best .
Ok mate will try that. Appreciate the help once again.
[doublepost=1568540334,1568523504][/doublepost]I have cranked the temperature up to 34deg and will leave it like that for 3 days and will try again

If one of mine grabs it then let’s go but doesn’t eat it, I usually can just offer it again or give them a gentle boop on the back of the neck with it and they will grab it and eat it.
I had one hatchie that needed 3 goes and would always eat it on the 3rd offer lol
She eats first time every time now though :D

If one of mine grabs it then let’s go but doesn’t eat it, I usually can just offer it again or give them a gentle boop on the back of the neck with it and they will grab it and eat it.
I had one hatchie that needed 3 goes and would always eat it on the 3rd offer lol
She eats first time every time now though :D
I'm making him wait until tomorrow night and with any luck he might eat now. I turned the heat up 2 days ago.
[doublepost=1568808274,1568671514][/doublepost]Little jerk still won't eat!
Can they just randomly decide not to eat rats?

This rat will be the 3rd in a week he hast taken

Try waiting a week between offerings. You waste less food & he has a chance to want it more.
My girl went off her food when she was little & it was heat related, her enclosure temps were fine based on recommendations, but apparently she lilkes this a little bit hotter :)
We had an air conditioner break down in the middle of a heat wave so her enclosure temps went upfor the week before we got a new air con, & as soon as the heat went up she went straight back to eating.

Try waiting a week between offerings. You waste less food & he has a chance to want it more.
My girl went off her food when she was little & it was heat related, her enclosure temps were fine based on recommendations, but apparently she lilkes this a little bit hotter :)
We had an air conditioner break down in the middle of a heat wave so her enclosure temps went upfor the week before we got a new air con, & as soon as the heat went up she went straight back to eating.
The temperature has gone up here very quickly and it's only spring. I have had it on 34deg for 4 days now but not sure if it has done anything

Not sure if this has been asked already but what are u actually measuring the temps with?
Microclimate evo lite stat and IR temp gun.
[doublepost=1568930796,1568930631][/doublepost]So he ate last night. My partner tried and he wasn't interested so she tapped his body with the rat and scared him. Tapped him a second time and he smashed it. I've been trying for up to 15mins with no luck lol.
I guess attacking him with it made him want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back