What makes a breader "Reputable"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Adam-

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a number of places to make sure that hatchlings are purchased from a reputable breeder.

I was just wondering - what are the concerns? What is the difference between a reputable breeder, vs a non reputable one?

I read a story on this forum I think from someone who bought a snake from a pet shop and it died 3 days later. Is it about buying from someone who wont intentionally sell a sick snake, or is there more to it than that?

A reputable breeder is someone that has a good reputation as a keeper/breeder and can give you the best advice on how to care for that animal. More than likely they have developed a good name in the hobby and want to keep it that way. A pet shop can be reputable but more often than not it's not their animals they are selling. They just want to hold them for as little time as possible with as little cost and move them on for a quick buck. A breeder is most often selling you one of their animals that they have bred from years of effort, they have a passion for reptiles and will want them to be looked after.

Last edited:
I think its more than just someone with a good reputation of selling healthy snakes -> Edit: this is a very good sign of a reputable breeder though :)

as someone like myself who is new to breeding AND obviously selling reptiles, I would like to think my care for the animals -> clean enclosures, Clean healthy looking animals as well as some vouches from friends who are big name breeders etc Would be enough to stand amongst those breedings 100s a year
If the pictures displaying a unhealthy, underweight, poor husbandry etc, definitely dont buy this, as it shows the breeder is more interested in getting rid of the animal/make a quick buck rather than going the extra step to atleast make the animal presentable and show you are putting care into the reptile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back