Small 10 month old bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesy93

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got this girl 4 weeks ago. She is 10 months old and very small for her age as they person I bought her off was not expecting a clutch and could not constantly feed all the hatchlings as he had no where to keep them if they all grew bigger.
Any way, she seems to be healthy now and I had her eating pinky mice wick is what the breeder had her eating but I’ve now put her on pinky rats. Today was her first day and she ate it no worries.
My question is, how often should I feed her now that I’ve gone up to the rats?
Also, any other tips for a first time python owner would be great!
Thanks!
324374a87da2396e3579c020878d2851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’d be good to feed it something with some fur :)

Also that enclosure is wayyyyyy too big for a snake that size

If you are going to have that big of a tank, you need lots and lots of hides for a small snake

If possible I would get her onto something with hair asap. Pinkies are little more than bags of puss for a snake (sorry for the bad mental image). I would at least try a fuzzy rat, but if need be I suppose you could drop to adult/jumbo mice. You did the right thing moving to rats though, may as well do it now.

In regards to your heating, I see you have one of those red bulbs. You can save a lot of money by just going to Bunnings instead.
Consider buying these:
globe.PNG
You can get them from 40-100W. You will need to test in order to find out which is correct for your setup, but you will save a lot of money once they invariably fail. Otherwise there are other heating options too, I am sure others may chime in with suggestions.

You may also want some more clutter or hides.

Edit: Posting at about the same time ;)

Thanks for the help guys! I’ll definitely grab more hides and what not for her and look at using something with fur now too!

I also have a heat mat underneath the tank and both are in a thermostat!

I would like to know though, why is the enclosure to big for her atm? We did have her in a container as pictured, should I put her back in this u til she is bigger or just buy more hides?

2069221bd75564b29711e4d131b07141.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! I’ll definitely grab more hides and what not for her and look at using something with fur now too!

I also have a heat mat underneath the tank and both are in a thermostat!

I would like to know though, why is the enclosure to big for her atm? We did have her in a container as pictured, should I put her back in this u til she is bigger or just buy more hides?

2069221bd75564b29711e4d131b07141.jpg

Something like that tub but a bit bigger say 9-10L add some pieces of dowel from one end to other and you have a perfect enclosure for your little friend :D

Also you only want to be heating 1/3rd of the tub :) this will allow for a better heat variation from one end to the other

Edit: as for why, it’s because snake like to feel confined and safe, you can use that enclosure, your just going to have to really fill it up with branches, fake plants, hides etc etx

You will probably hear varying opinions like a lot of things in this hobby, however a lot of juvenile snakes tend to stress easily when in large enclosures (large vs themselves I mean). With that large open space they may feel vulnerable to predation and have a hard time settling in. That being said, yours is eating which may imply it is not terribly stressed. Still, that is the reasoning. You could compromise perhaps by putting a click clack inside the larger enclosure giving it the option of retreating, however just be mindful of how you decide to provide heat in that scenario (you don't want to put the raw heat mat in the enclosure for example).

I would agree with Herptology in general that just upgrading to a slightly larger click clack with a perch would be the best bet, else provide significant amounts of clutter to the larger enclosure. Or, consider creating the scenario as written above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back