Anyone else feeling the aquarium hobby drawing them away from herps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an angler fish for a few months, it died after an unfortunately and obviously incorrect water change. It was caught in 20cm deep water in a canal at the Gold Coast. By angler fish I mean a fish with a lure in front of its head, it would easily eat fire tail gudgeons twice its length,

I did not check for bioluminesense, but suspect it probably could do that.

Archer fish are cool too, but they need heating in Brisbane.

That's the one mate... just like off finding Nemo ... when Marlin says "good feeling's gone!"

Not sufficiently familiar with the movie to catch the reference, but it's pretty cool to hear people are keeping those things! Extremely interesting fish, and not just because of the light. If you wouldn't mind sharing pictures and a bit of your experience with them I'd love to read about it. I imagine they'd require at least a bit in the way of special conditions (coming from such an extreme environment I wouldn't have been surprised if it was close enough to impossible to keep them in a home aquarium, which is why when I read angler fish I thought it was an error in referring to archer fish). If you have them I assume they do fine in normal pressure, and maybe they just need to be kept cold? No idea, I'd love to hear more about them.

Hi mate I've definitely never kept nor ever will keep angler fish. The only marine species I keep is the lion fish AKA butterfly cod.

Not sufficiently familiar with the movie to catch the reference, but it's pretty cool to hear people are keeping those things! Extremely interesting fish, and not just because of the light. If you wouldn't mind sharing pictures and a bit of your experience with them I'd love to read about it. I imagine they'd require at least a bit in the way of special conditions (coming from such an extreme environment I wouldn't have been surprised if it was close enough to impossible to keep them in a home aquarium, which is why when I read angler fish I thought it was an error in referring to archer fish). If you have them I assume they do fine in normal pressure, and maybe they just need to be kept cold? No idea, I'd love to hear more about them.

Before I accidentally killed it I kept mine in a 3 litre critter thingy with the flip top lid. There are lots of different types of angler fish, I also used to think they were exclusively deep water animals. They appear to be very intelligent for fish. One of my mates used to catch marine fish for the aquarium trade and said they where rare to find. If I ever bothered to have a marine tank I would definitely try to get another one.

Seems like there's a lot more to these things than I realised. I'll go do some reading about them.

It's funny how things go in cycles. I was into keeping fish for years before the reptiles. I did hear a lot of fish keepers end up gong down the reptile path like myself. I had not kept fish for about 10 years and now within 6 months I have 5 fish tanks keeping African Cichlids, Discus and heaps of different L number catfish. I am enjoying keeping both reptiles and fish now. I have rigged up a device out of 25mm pvc pipe that makes water changes a breeze to do that runs out onto the lawn. Back in the day I used to use buckets - was painful.

I started with frogs, moved into aquariums and now am loving reptiles. It's far easier to tell whether or not a reptile is ill I find, and they are more interactive. Saying this, I still have a small goldfish pond and a 20 litre betta tank.

I just set up a new 10 gallon aquarium for 8 Celestial Pearl Danios (AKA Galaxy Rasboras). This aquarium sits on my home office desk just to provide a little necessary distraction.
These pics aren't mine, my fish haven't arrived yet but it's just to show what they look like.
Celestial-Pearl-Danio-600x365.jpg Danio-margaritatus-2__51629.1504080172.1280.1280.jpg

I don't see why you cannot love and keep both.

For me personally, I like Animals I can handle and pat. Smuggling my dragon around the Supermarket or park after a vet appointment is the best feeling. Seeing little kids faces light up when they spot a nose coming out of my hoodie plus feeling Nox just relax into my hands, shoulder, neck or anywhere else in the sun is just a BLAST. Sadly, fish cannot offer that.

What? Fish?? Who chooses fish over reptiles? Mate, I am totally blown away by this nonsense.
"Oh yeah I sold my black and gold jungles to buy these filthy guppies" lol

What? Fish?? Who chooses fish over reptiles? Mate, I am totally blown away by this nonsense.
"Oh yeah I sold my black and gold jungles to buy these filthy guppies" lol
Each to their own man... I'd personally keep colourless goldfish before black and gold jungles. I've had aquariums since I was about 8-9 years old. Snakes eat, curl up and sleep for a month, wake up, crap and repeat. Aquariums are very interesting.

Each to their own man... I'd personally keep colourless goldfish before black and gold jungles. I've had aquariums since I was about 8-9 years old. Snakes eat, curl up and sleep for a month, wake up, crap and repeat. Aquariums are very interesting.
Yeah nah, I'm just stirring the pot, Ive been in and out of the aquarium hobby and I do see the appeal but could not choose fish alone.
I guess in a way I've chosen invertebrates and amphibians over reptiles which is probs worse

Yeah nah, I'm just stirring the pot, Ive been in and out of the aquarium hobby and I do see the appeal but could not choose fish alone.
I guess in a way I've chosen invertebrates and amphibians over reptiles which is probs worse
I have various strains of cherry shrimp, different snails, crayfish... full on mini communities. Can sit there for hours watching them... I'd watch them more than TV.

I have been an aquarist for decades and will always have a fishtank. Fish are my original passion.
They do require more, but it's all hobby time to me :D.
I have wanted a snake for 10 years, before diving in only this year. Should have done it sooner.

So, for me the Aquarium hobby drew me towards reptile keeping.

The more I see people keeping fish, the more I love and admire fish, because fish are awesome, and the less I want to keep fish, because keeping fish is a punt of a task which severely restricts your lifestyle. As for the comparison, reptiles are much better to me anyway, but it's totally a case of personal preference and I know that some people are strange and insane enough to prefer fish and I can respect that in the same way that we accept and respect people with other disabilities and make sure we don't discriminate against them and discourage stigmas. I like that other people are right into fish so I can get some enjoyment from them, while I enjoy the better animals which conveniently come with less workload and hassle.

I have always seen fish in people's house I've very rarely seen reptiles of any sort even as a kid every one had fish no one had reptiles so now I have kids of my own I have let them grow up with both and they always pick the reptiles of any sort over the fish but in saying that the fish are always moving in there tank and there very colourful the best thing about fish is if or when they die it's $2 to get another and the kids don't care about replacing them but for the reptiles they never like it when they get sick or die they cry.
So I think that's y people choose fish over anything else because kids don't get attached to them and there easy to replace with out anyone noticing but for anything else it's so hard to replace something unique like reptiles or fur babys

Latest posts

Back