BHP handling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trpk*

Reaction score
I am new to snakes and snake keeping and I am interested in BHP. One thing I am a bit concerned about is their size. When fully grown they can reach 10ft. Are they still safe to handle alone or would you recommend more than one person to deal with them?

There should always be someone *aware* when you will be handling a large snake, even if it’s just someone home in the next room

One of the biggest rules is to never allow them to cross over their body around your neck, this can lead to trouble

Can’t really comment, getting my first bhp soon which is an axanthic hatchling. You know overfeeding can cause health issues so won’t get 10foot over night. Also I suspect a bhp bite wouldn’t be so bad. With their little head and teeth but they very strong and may not let go in a hurry. Once you learn your snake you should be fine to handle it.

Bhps have a nasty bite ! Very powerful and dont like to let go . But dont let thst scare you very rarely do they bite if no food around IMO. Bhps are generally really docile handlers and i think just get a bad wrap sometimes because of there strong food drive and cage aggression in some , which all bluff anyway ! No uncommon for them to just headbutt even if they do strike . Not all localities get massive. I have a pair pilbara's and they are not that big i have bigger jungles !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back