My parent's are telling me to sell my beloved python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same thing when I got my first Python.
- If you explain their behaviour in a manner where it doesn't put them in such a bad light, that can be a good thing.
- Now what else I would suggest is letting your parents handle it. but being a Jungle Hatchie it will be virtually impossible for a while.
- Hiding their food as well as hiding the fact your feeding them is a good thing also.
- List their cool facts! E.g they do have ears they are just covered (snakes are not deaf).

I don't think there's any reason to be condescending to her. She's not a girl - she's an adult, just still living under her parents roof.

From my perspective - if she was spoilt and manipulative - she'd get what she wants - and her situation, let alone attitude seems to lean towards this not not being the case. Trust me - if I thought she was being manipulative I'd never write what I did.

Maybe you know more about this situation or know the situation personally that you're unable to share online? I admit I don't - I only know the situation from what she has posted online and admittedly I've only heard one side of the story - but from that, and from the perspective of a father who has a daughter too - her posts sound mature and well thought out.

She is willing to accept her dad's ruling - but wants him to be well informed and is looking for feedback as to options- seeking council as to the best way to proceed. My first post clearly pointed out the flaw in her bringing it home without discussing first - and she's been grateful and gracious about the correction - not bratty. Seeking council, and heeding correction from others that you may not want to hear shows wisdom - not spoilt manipulative immaturity, which I applaud her. I wish more people, both young and old would have that attitude - it's a quality that's becoming more rare these days.

One thing I try and teach my children - you can't change the mistakes you've made. What's important is what you do next. (To correct the mistake as best you can as well as what you learn to not make the same mistakes again).

Maybe you didn't mean your posts to come across that way - and I'm reading them as being more hostile than intended, or maybe it's meant to be in jest? To clarify - is it really your advice that all adults still living under their parents roof should just obey always without being free to respectfully communicate and discuss concerns with their parents?

& here I stand.....corrected.
You are a fountain of knowledge Sdaji.☺️
I always thought it was to do with quarantine as I am sure it was referred as that by national parks when I adopted some lizards a few years ago via ballot.
Plus, coincidentally the code of practice quarantine guidelines state that we should keep newly acquired (snakes more so) away from existing reptiles for atleast 6-12mth due to the high risk of disease transmission etc.
That’s why I kind of though it made sense that it was for that reason.
Unfortunately there are still alot of people that buy & sell quite frequently just to make money.I have heard of people being fined for doing so.......but this is only here-say. I do not know anyone personally that it has happened to so who knows.Would be good to find out if anyone has experienced a fine or warning atleast.

It's entirely possible that some of the staff are now saying it's because of quarantine (you'll hear the staff from the various state departments saying virtually any nonsense you can imagine - some of them know the system but many of them have absolutely no idea), but when the rules were set decades ago they had no concept of quarantine, most private keepers didn't even have awareness of the concept let alone the importance (and if we're honest, very few keepers do much more than pay lip service to the issue even today), and the rule wouldn't particularly help the quarantine situation in most cases anyway; keeping a sick animal for 6 months just means you'll infect your collection before passing it on, and if you do want to buy and sell frequently you can just get a commercial license and do it anyway. They've never admitted to it, but it's also possible that part of their motivation was to decrease the number of movements; huge numbers of movements would make their job of watching the records more difficult.

I can't specifically recall anyone ever being pulled up for doing it and I do know many people who have done it. Generally speaking it would be very difficult to enforce because people doing a lot of buying and selling generally are doing it with common species and if they have a few in the collection they can just say on paper that the one being sold is not the one recently purchased, even if it is. For this reason even the people who the rule may provide some quarantine benefit through (those acting as backyard shops, bending the rules) are able to bypass the rules anyway. Personally I've never actually even wanted to, since I'm only interested in buying things I want to keep, and if I buy more than I want so I can pick my favourites, I need a good six months or so to see them develop anyway.

Look up snake discovery on youtube they explain things really well and light n funny and very informative maybe watch some videos with your parents

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is about GTPs but works well with snappy jungles

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so sorry that you have to get rid of your beloved snake.
[doublepost=1574676111,1574675951][/doublepost]
My kids get to play with snakes all the time, my son even gets a bite now and then. It's no big deal, once you get to know what snakes are like it's not much different than coming home to any other pet.

View attachment 327836
View attachment 327837
View attachment 327838
Wow that snake looks amazing,i dont have alot of experiance recognise snakes so if you dont mind me asking what snake is he?/she?

Latest posts

Back