How to achieve desired temperature with heat mat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseNo4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have my young Stimson's in a small plastic enclosure, heated by a single heat mat. But i am having trouble achieving the temperature i want. The cool end is exactly the temperature i want, but the hot end is just too hot.

I have resorted to propping the plastic enclosure up a little bit above the mat so as to not roast my little boy, but i want a more practical solution.

My full size enclosure does have the heating requirements but that is for the full size enclosure, not the tiny little 'click clack' he is currently residing within.

The small plastic enclosure is only temporary until he outgrows it, but i need a way to heat one end to my desired temperature. Of course, i dont want an expensive 'throwaway' solution that would only be useful or a couple months until he grows out of it.

Get a thermostat.

Popular brands are habistat or microclimate

This allows you to set a temperature in which the heat mat will turn on/off whether it’s reading too hot or too cold

Edit; what are you using to measure the temps? Thermometer, temperature gun? Hand?

Get a thermostat.

Popular brands are habistat or microclimate

This allows you to set a temperature in which the heat mat will turn on/off whether it’s reading too hot or too cold

Edit; what are you using to measure the temps? Thermometer, temperature gun? Hand?
I have a thermostat, but that is for the heat lamps! I guess i have planned everything for a full grown python... not a young one.

I currently have two temperature sensors, one is situated underneath the plastic enclosure, beneath his hide. I have the other one inside the enclosure, stuck into the substrate.

You’re going to have to either get another thermostat or use the one you currently own, and place the probe in tub

There is supposed to be a gap between heat mats and a tub to prevent the tub from burning and losing animals.
Just put your thermostat probe straight on the heat mat and set the temp from there.
Have the tub about 1-2cm above the mat and then any excess heat can escape and you won't have to worry about the tub catching fire.
I only use Flex-watt heat tape and don't worry about ambient temps, just as long as there is a good hot spot.

Online shops sell them, not sure if there’s any physical stores that sell them

I would REALLY recommend using the one you have setup already to monitor temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back