New Stimson's Python Won't Hide! (Newbie)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilaila

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm a new snake owner and purchased a Stimson's python three days ago. He is about 5 weeks old and quite aggressive but I know through proper handling each day he will grow out of it. He lives in a 3ft tank and climbs up into one of the lid corners instead of basking or hiding. The tank is 31 degrees on the warm end and 24 on the cool end. Is he just scared? Is there anything I can do to make sure he's more comfortable in his environment? He uses his hide sometimes but just gets out of it to climb again, I feel bad moving him around because I don't want to stress him out. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. I've read as much as I can about it but don't know if he's just getting used to it or there is a bigger issue surrounding it.

He will settle in over the next 2 weeks or so. I would suggest not to handle until he is settled as it will stress the animal more.

It could be that a 5 week old Stimson's is a bit overwhelmed in a 3 foot tank. A 5 week old Stimson's should NEVER be sold to a new snake keeper - they are tiny animals at that age, and it is unlikely to have had more than one or two feeds, if it's had any at all. Whoever sold it to you, if it is one of this year's hatchies, is rather irresponsible. These tiny snakes should really have had at least ten feeds and a couple of sheds before being sold to a new snake keeper. Stimson's Pythons don't bask - they are largely a nocturnal species, and because of their small size (especially a hatchy), they would be easy prey for predators if they moved around during the day. You really need to post more information about the enclosure and setup before anyone can comment on the environment in which you keep it. Baby snakes will feel more comfortable and secure in a 5L plastic tub, with paper towel on the bottom and a couple of small boxes to hide in. Be VERY careful about gaps in the enclosure top or doors - Antaresias are great escape artists and can squeeze through very small gaps, especially in sliding glass fronts. Ideally they should only move around at night, so if it's active during the day, there is something unsatisfactory about the enclosure, it's a 99% bet that it is temperature related.

Don't worry about the cool end - let it get as cold as it wants to.

By the way - it's reaction to you is DEFENSIVE, not aggressive.

Jamie

Check out the below video. Great examples of a defensive snake and how to handle them.

Hi Adam, I applaud your enthusiasm to assist but have you ever seen a Stimpson's hatchy? Mate they are like worms and while this video may be of assistance with some snakes it's a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to hatchling Stimpson's. Jamie is a very experienced keeper and is on the money about it being overwhelmed in such a large enclosure. Again don't take this the wrong way but, as a newbie yourself, it mightn't hurt to just sit back and let him handle it from here.

All the best.

Last edited:
It could be that a 5 week old Stimson's is a bit overwhelmed in a 3 foot tank. A 5 week old Stimson's should NEVER be sold to a new snake keeper - they are tiny animals at that age, and it is unlikely to have had more than one or two feeds, if it's had any at all. Whoever sold it to you, if it is one of this year's hatchies, is rather irresponsible. These tiny snakes should really have had at least ten feeds and a couple of sheds before being sold to a new snake keeper. Stimson's Pythons don't bask - they are largely a nocturnal species, and because of their small size (especially a hatchy), they would be easy prey for predators if they moved around during the day. You really need to post more information about the enclosure and setup before anyone can comment on the environment in which you keep it. Baby snakes will feel more comfortable and secure in a 5L plastic tub, with paper towel on the bottom and a couple of small boxes to hide in. Be VERY careful about gaps in the enclosure top or doors - Antaresias are great escape artists and can squeeze through very small gaps, especially in sliding glass fronts. Ideally they should only move around at night, so if it's active during the day, there is something unsatisfactory about the enclosure, it's a 99% bet that it is temperature related.

Don't worry about the cool end - let it get as cold as it wants to.

By the way - it's reaction to you is DEFENSIVE, not aggressive.

Jamie
Thank you so much for your help! Is it normal for him to climb at night since he is nocturnal? He is hiding during the day now and I am not handling him until he is settled.

Thank you so much for your help! Is it normal for him to climb at night since he is nocturnal? He is hiding during the day now and I am not handling him until he is settled.

Yep, perfectly normal for him to be active after dark. I would still be very concerned if the animal is as young as you say it is - it is WAY too small and young to be sold to a novice keeper. At 5 weeks I doubt it has even had one feed, and they can take expert care to get them started, because pink mice are not their natural food.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back