Bobtail food confusion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallimar

Reaction score
Hi folks, new herp owner here. Have a baby Stimson's python who's doing fab and a bobtail as of yesterday. I've done a heap of research on food but so much of it is contradictory and confusing as to the veg/fruit they can safely eat.

I've got a garden full of dandelions with no pesticide/herbicide on them so I'm feeding that and grated butternut pumpkin as the main veg, and I've got some yellow squash and rocket on the way. I'm planning a veg garden for collards, endive, nasturtium and mustard greens, maybe some watercress for funsies.
I know all those are good staples so she'll have a good variety, but the occasional foods are giving me conniptions.

Mushrooms. I've read on here some folks feed them and I gave her a small one cut up this morning, which she scoffed along with her veg. Then I read they're bad on some websites, and not to feed them? Are they talking about wild mushrooms?

Fruit. I read it's both good and bad. If I avoid citrus and high-water fruits it's just fine as 10% of the mix?

Tomatoes. I alternatively read they're great or too high in water so don't feed.

Carrot. Some sites list it as a staple, some as an occasional food.

Kale. Some places say staple, some say it's goitrogenic.

ARGH. I mean, I can cobble together a decent diet for her, but it's so darn confusing when every source seems to contradict the others on what's good. Any tips aside from sticking to the confirmed staples?

(and yeah, I'm offering insects dusted with calcium or multivitamin powder every second day, will also try some good quality dog food with wombaroo supplement, maybe some canned snails or lizard diet for a change.)
[doublepost=1565520198,1564886706][/doublepost]Ok! So so far she's eating pretty much anything I put in front of her, which is great.

Done up a mix of grated butternut pumpkin, dandelion greens, komatsuna, yellow squash and a tiny bit of fruit that I've frozen in batches for later. Alternating with turkey mince with wombaroo supplement three times a week, and gave her some egg as a treat, which she went nuts for. Doesn't seem to like king worms at all but I want to try her on silkworms later in the year once I get a colony going. She's mad for blueberries too but I know those are supposed to be an occasional treat. haha

Guess I'll keep muddling through, so long as I'm not doing anything too daft, right?
[doublepost=1571461637][/doublepost]Hah. So I've discovered the wonders of picky lizard feeding. I expect it's relatable, getting her to eat veg is pretty tricky. So far the best success I've had has been to either grate up or blend together some of the best stuff for her, mixed with a small amount of fruit. She sometimes eats that, but usually only likes her turkey mince cat food that I mix with either calcium or vitamin powder. Today I managed to get her to eat a whacking great heap of greens by making a veggie sludge with vitamin supplement in it, then mixing that 50/50 into her mince. She's finally chowing down like a little champ. Phew!
Also hatching some silkworms to try feeding her, she's not big on insects but I figure the squishy healthy ones might do well. If not, I get free silk. win/win

Sounds like you're doing a great job :)

Don't stress too much about the details. You haven't listed anything disastrously dangerous. The stuff people say not to use as staples... well, you're doting so much that you're giving such a variety that none of it is a staple anyway. If in doubt offer less of the thing. The only suggestion I'd make to what you're doing is keep the fruit including tomato well under 10%. They love it. Kids love lollies, women love chocolate, men love beer, doesn't mean it's good for us. Fruit is good/okay in very small amounts. Having said that, more than 10% fruit isn't going to cause huge problems just like a few beers or cigarettes here and there won't usually do us noticeable harm either.

Yeah, I'm trying to stick to the good stuff. Thankfully the sludge trick seems to work well, and the lizard food garden is going strong, should be able to start feeding that pretty soon. I don't feed much fruit, just add a tiny bit in to help sweeten up the mix and entice her to eat it. Nothing close to 10% I think, except the odd blueberry treat - and even then sometimes she won't eat them!
Man, lizards. Love the little things but they're grumpy sods when they want to be, haha

Yeah, I'm trying to stick to the good stuff. Thankfully the sludge trick seems to work well, and the lizard food garden is going strong, should be able to start feeding that pretty soon. I don't feed much fruit, just add a tiny bit in to help sweeten up the mix and entice her to eat it. Nothing close to 10% I think, except the odd blueberry treat - and even then sometimes she won't eat them!
Man, lizards. Love the little things but they're grumpy sods when they want to be, haha

I don't know about you but I love blueberries, and if a lizard for which they weren't healthy wasn't tjat into them, I know whose belly any blueberries in my possession would be going into!

Sounds like you're doing a great job and have some lucky lizards :)

Thanks again :)

And yeah - I love 'em, but my son is like a blueberry black hole XD
Actually all fruit. ... He eats a lot like a lizard, really. Hmmmm. *checks for scales*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back