Nocturnal snakes and their pupils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseNo4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a simple, basic question, but why would a nocturnal snake dilate their pupils temporarily?

I have seen my little boy do it a few times and it is kinda weird. He was inside his hide and i wanted to handle him to get him used to it. Only a couple minutes a day. When i removed his hide and presented my fingers to him, he brought his nose up close - not coiled mind you, so not preparing to strike - and dilated his pupils.

What is this reaction and is there a reason for it.

I didnt wake him up as he was very obviously awake prior.

Grab a cat during the day, in fairly bright light (or use a relaxed cat any time it has fully or partially contracted pupils). Startle the cat in any way you see fit. Observe the pupils.

It's harder to see, but it works on humans too. Get a relaxed human in light conditions which haven't caused them to dilate. Scare/bribe/embarrass/excite/hurt the human and their pupils will dilate. Whether you cut off their arm or show them a nice pair of boobs (or a really really bad pair will usually work) or waft the smell of their favourite food in their direction or kill their best friend, they'll all work*.

Something obviously caught your snake's interest in some way.

*I don't endorse doing all these things, I'm just saying what happens if they are done.

Grab a cat during the day, in fairly bright light (or use a relaxed cat any time it has fully or partially contracted pupils). Startle the cat in any way you see fit. Observe the pupils.

It's harder to see, but it works on humans too. Get a relaxed human in light conditions which haven't caused them to dilate. Scare/bribe/embarrass/excite/hurt the human and their pupils will dilate. Whether you cut off their arm or show them a nice pair of boobs (or a really really bad pair will usually work) or waft the smell of their favourite food in their direction or kill their best friend, they'll all work*.

Something obviously caught your snake's interest in some way.

*I don't endorse doing all these things, I'm just saying what happens if they are done.
In a good or bad way?

From Sdaji's reply: "Scare/bribe/embarrass/excite/hurt" - from what I take from that is maybe he's excited that you're there - or simply alert that something has changed in his cage - or maybe it's a sign of a little stress, or maybe he's reacting to a scent on your fingers. Did you wash your hands before approching him, or were you handling something else inbetween? (Patting the cat, etc) that could indicate that there's something he's locked onto with his senses?

From Sdaji's reply: "Scare/bribe/embarrass/excite/hurt" - from what I take from that is maybe he's excited that you're there - or simply alert that something has changed in his cage - or maybe it's a sign of a little stress, or maybe he's reacting to a scent on your fingers. Did you wash your hands before approching him, or were you handling something else inbetween? (Patting the cat, etc) that could indicate that there's something he's locked onto with his senses?

Because snakes don't have eyelids and sleep/rest with their eyes open it's near impossible to tell if a snake is in the process of sleeping or resting and the general rule is that if a snake is curled up under it's hide or coiled in the open with its head tucked under a coil then it is considered to be sleeping/resting.

While Sdaji's reply makes good sense and there is the possibility that the snake was startled and became scared from being exposed it may also be a case of the snake's pupil adjusting to the change in the intensity of light when from coming out of darkness under the hide into daylight or a well lit room.

Work done by Brischoux, Pizzatto & Shine in 2010 "Insights into the adaptive significance of vertical pupil shape in snakes" provides, what I would describe as, a very reasonable evaluation why polyphasic species of snakes such as pythons are equipped with vertical pupils. A polyphasic species of snake is basically one that is active both day and night.

They identify that -

"On functional grounds, a variable‐aperture vertical pupil (i) allows a nocturnal species to have a sensitive retina for night vision but avoid dazzle by day by adjusting pupil closure, and (ii) increases visual acuity by day, because a narrow vertical pupil can project a sharper image onto the retina in the horizontal plane. Detection of horizontal movement may be critical for predators that wait in ambush for moving prey, suggesting that foraging mode (ambush predation) as well as polyphasic activity may favour the evolution of vertical pupil shape. Camouflage (disruption of the circular outline of the eye) also may be beneficial for ambush predators. A comparative analysis in snakes reveals significant functional links between pupil shape and foraging mode, as well as between pupil shape and diel timing of activity."

&

"Rather than enhancing visual acuity at low light levels, vertically slit pupils convey flexibility over aperture size (via facultative dilation) and hence increase the range of light intensities over which the eye can function effectively (especially important for species that are active both by day and by night:"

Last edited:
In a good or bad way?

Could be good, could be bad, could be neutral.

Any type of stimulation which gets the attention of an animal causes the animal to heighten its senses. Dilating the pupils allows more light into the eyes which increases the amount of information being received by the sensory organ.

As someone else said, simply waking up is an example of increasing the level of awareness and alertness. When snakes sleep their pupils contract (incidentally, it's not almost impossible to detect when they're sleeping). They don't need visual data entering the brain while they sleep so the pupils contract fully. When they wake up they do want visual data so the pupils will dilate. Again, the same thing happens with humans and other animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back