Woma python - trouble shedding and blister?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Steam

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently bought my first snake a year old woma python.

She has been shedding for about 4 weeks and it's still not come off

Additionally, she has a patch on her tail, which I thought we loose skin, but maybe is a blister or abscess. I'm not at all sure though.

She looked fine and healthy before the shed started.

I've removed substrate (snake wood chip), and added a large bowl or water, which I've been replacing with warm 32c water to raise humidity.

I've also added a rough rock for her to rub on.

She's still active, and appears happy, but not feeding.

Is there anything else I can try or is this a trip to the vets?
[doublepost=1571892423,1571892187][/doublepost]20191024_143517.jpg

Put her in a tub of about of inch warm water, wait 30minutes and try to rub it off

4 weeks is so long though, and will probably have to started to cut circulation, and will need a vet

Snakes shouldn’t eat when in process of shedding as it can cause issues during the shed process (shed gets snagged on the food bulge )
And you shouldn’t handle them during their shed
Edit:has she shed any of it at all? She could be about to shed any day now

You should also post a pic of setup with temperatures

20191024_155420.jpg

20191024_155434.jpg
[doublepost=1571897986,1571897695][/doublepost]Yes, some has come off, and there is large tear down her back where you can see the new skin.

Note - the temperature probe is beneath the box, so the temperature is cooler than shown.

The heat source is a cord that is coiled beneath the box with the probe taped to it.

I will be changing it around in the next few days as it's resulting in heat spots as it's too tight and too close to the tub - I'll attach it to a tile beneath the tub with more air space.

When snakes have trouble shedding it is more often than not a result of being dehydrated due to poor husbandry. I know that you said this is your first snake and I'm not having a go at you but from what I see from the photos of your set up and snake it appears that you've created a hot box which appears to have caused the snake to become just that, dehydrated. If the tub is set up correctly with a temperature gradient, small water bowl, paper substrate (personally I wouldn't recommended using wood chip as a substrate in a tub) and a hide there shouldn't be any problems with humidity. Putting a bowl of water @ 32 dec C won't solve your humidity problem it will just make the inside of the tub hotter and create a sweat box like a sauna.

For the time being do what Herpetology has suggested and put it in a tub with about an inch of water (it doesn't have to be hot just room temperature and shallow enough so the snake won't drown) and leave the snake in for about half an hour or more until you can see if the shed starts to become loose and if, or when, it does you can just gently peel the old skin off. That could be a blister near the vent and if that's the case I'd suggest taking extreme care removing the skin from that area. You can use a plastic ice cream container with a lid or similar to prevent escape or alternatively just take everything out of the tub and use that then if and when you get a result you can wipe it out and refit it. I'd suggest to try this before considering taking it to a vet.

In regards to the way you have the enclosure set up. Am I correct that the heat cord is extended right across the bottom of the tub and the only air holes are the half a dozen on the bottom right? If I am you need to make some adjustments. Because heat rises there needs to be more ventilation at the top edges of the tub to allow excess heat to escape. Also the heat cord should only cover about a third of the bottom of the tub to provide a temperature gradient with a cool end and hot end to allow the snake to thermoregulate properly. A lot of people use the heat cord sandwiched between two tiles to get this result. Personally I prefer to place the hide at the cool end (especially important for a new acquisition if the tub is in a high traffic area of the house because the snake will tend to spend most of its time in the hide and if the hide is on the heat pad it could again lead to problems). Naturally you will also need a small water bowl for drinking water.

Hope this helps,

George.

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify.

Heat cord coiled up covering about 1/3 but right under hide.

Holes is the bottom and in the top, with the intention of creating air flow through thermals.

I'll give her a bath and let you know.

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify.

Heat cord coiled up covering about 1/3 but right under hide.

Holes is the bottom and in the top, with the intention of creating air flow through thermals.

I'll give her a bath and let you know.

Inked20191024_155434_LI.jpg

So that's not heat cord?

Plus I've enlarged the pics and can't see any air vents at the top. Not saying they aren't there but it wouldn't hurt to add some more. At least maybe a couple of rows.

Last edited:
View attachment 327917

So that's not heat cord?

Plus I've enlarged the pics and can't see any air vents at the top. Not saying they aren't there but it wouldn't hurt to add some more. At least maybe a couple of rows.
That’s the bottom of the tub haha :p but I don’t see air holes up top either

For my ventilation I have about 8 holes on each side of tub, using a soldering iron (do this outside so you don’t inhale any gross fumes inside)

If i want less humidity, I’ll add some holes to lid

If I want more, I’ll add a lid with no holes

I have a Woma that's a bit bigger than yours and have never had serious issues with shedding.

But dude. That is a really unwell looking Woma.

Their humidity doesn't actually need to be that high. Remember - They are a desert dwelling animal. They are used to dry heat for the most part.

Moreover that is a really big bowl for the size of the enclosure.

And the ventilation is a real issue.

Is it possible that it is too humid and that has led to other health issues?

What do the belly scales look like?
[doublepost=1571914700,1571914643][/doublepost]Also your thermostat is set too high.

36 is way too hot for constant heat

The thermostat probe is outside the tub, so it's over reading buy about 6c.

Temp is around 32c in the hide.

The box has holes in the lid. The idea being that holes in the bottom near the heat source will draw clean air in as the hot air rises, then vent it through the lid.

Good idea, but I have no way of knowing how much air is flowing, so I open the box regularly.

I will add more holes though.

It's got a heat cord under the base.

Update: I've give her soak for 30 minutes and the shed has come off the front half down to her belly.

I'll continue misting the tub, and give her another soak tomorrow.

I'd tried bathing before, but no where near long enough it seems.

The thermostat probe is outside the tub, so it's over reading buy about 6c

How come it's outside the tub?
[doublepost=1571920636,1571917788][/doublepost]Also if the probe is outside the tub then the heat inside the tub will be a lot higher than what the thermostat is set to

How come it's outside the tub?
[doublepost=1571920636,1571917788][/doublepost]Also if the probe is outside the tub then the heat inside the tub will be a lot higher than what the thermostat is set to

Yes it will be.

I use a temp gun to find the temperature in the tub and adjust the temp to give me 32c inside.

I'd rather it be inside, but I could find no solution for that I was happy with.

There may be a little fluctuation, but I think I'm getting the desired temp with it outside, without things I'm not happy about.

I'm also happier the temp probe is directly across the coils, so there's less chance of it under reading.

Once I move to her full size home, I'll maybe use a tile inside the enclosure, with a temp probe reading inside temp.
[doublepost=1572091810][/doublepost]Update:

After two baths we have managed to get all the shed, of, and she is back to her pristine slinky self.

There was a new shed under the one we've been trying to get off,and once we realised that it made things much easier.

The baths softened the skin, and my wife held the shed with her nails while the snake wriggled out of it. This worked really well.

The blister was just two layers of shed with a bubble underneath.

Thanks for your help guys.

The snake is called Mazarkeen, who gets a nice fat mouse tomorrow to celebrate.

I think maybe the wood chip substrate was a bit too dry, and it's also been really dry here too. This was happening during the bush fires in Qld rain forest just a few km away from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back