Rat sizes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lovely Julatten from you yellowtail that's nearly a year and wont take rats. I have only offered them a few times so haven't made a serious effort at all, but the rats she has been offered were thawed with mice and the last one I gave an extra rub with a mouse but still a hard nope [emoji38]
Any tips on changing her over?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I will be watching this closely as well because i am buying one of yellowtail this season but i want mine taking rats.

I have yearling childrens pythons that smash adult mice quite easily. Luckily antaresia arent fussy ! They smash anything once established

I have a lovely Julatten from you yellowtail that's nearly a year and wont take rats. I have only offered them a few times so haven't made a serious effort at all, but the rats she has been offered were thawed with mice and the last one I gave an extra rub with a mouse but still a hard nope [emoji38]
Any tips on changing her over?

I never have this problem so something is at play here. I breed my own Quackenbush mice and they are raised on the same food as my rats so that may have a bearing, maybe it's the food, maybe my mice smell different to common mice or the way I vacuum pack them retains the scent. If you are having a problem then thawing your mice and rats together should do the trick or try feeding a mouse immediately followed by a rat.
How big are the mice you are feeding and are we talking about pinky or fuzzy rats that don't really have much scent. I feed mine mice up to 40 gram adults then introduce 70gm weaner rats, never baby rats.

Shes about 150g or so, I've got her on about 30g adult mice - same weight rat is what I tried. I thought the mouse scent on it would do the trick too! Will try following the mouse with a rat on her next feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back