what is the best snake for basic wildlife licence??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillian

Reaction score
I have no idea about the best snake for keeping for a beginner I want t know a snake that does not get too big does not have to eat mice/rodents and one a child can handle. can anyone help and also one not too expensive in victoria I thought of the children's python but the diet and too pricey.

I have no idea about the best snake for keeping for a beginner I want t know a snake that does not get too big does not have to eat mice/rodents and one a child can handle. can anyone help and also one not too expensive in victoria I thought of the children's python but the diet and too pricey.
Pythons in captivity are going to be mainly eating mice or other rodents rare occassion skinks. But tis frowned upon. If you want maybe a blue tounge skink ive heard they can be pretty docile and can go on a diet of certain grain free dog/cat foods

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Then again also cost you should be prepared to pay quite a bit to keep a native reptile and for them to thrive otherwise maybe wait till the timea right try breeders on reptile classifeids online they sometimes have snakes for as cheap as 50 bucks but in taking care of them unbranded reptile supplies would be the way to go if your not fussed on looks

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakes are one of the cheapest pets you can keep, it averages about a 1-10$ feed once a week to once a month

Substrate is like 10$ for 20L and will last a year for a single snake

An enclosure for life (depending on snake) will cost 200-250$ including heating and furniture

As for diet 99% of snakes eat rodents, that just comes with the snake, they don’t have to be live and you can buy them frozen, all you have to do is thaw them out in a bucket of water

Something like a stimsons python would be good, they are small, don’t require a large amount of space and are generally ok for handling

If you don't want to feed a snake rodents, don't get a snake. There are basically no alternatives suitable for beginners.

If you have a cat you'll be feeding it pieces of dead chicken and racehorses which weren't fast enough. Rats and mice are just in a form which allows you to be honest with yourself :) I think having a greater connection to reality is healthier than dissociating from it anyway :) If you want a snake it's cool to feel a connection to the reality of a snake. Same deal with any other pet or indeed the way we see ourselves :)

No, nothing overly like Garter snakes over here. Your best bet is going to be to go online and check the approved species list for whatever state you are in. Once you find the correct list you can see what snakes you are allowed to actually keep and then you can find care sheets to get a rough outline. Once you have that, I would recommend doing a tonne of additional research, and probably go out and get the Mike Swan book.

Definitely recommend Antaresia for yourself, but you will absolutely need to accept that you will be feeding whole rodents and poultry to a snake. Also, please don't just jump into this on an impulse. Snakes can easily live multiple decades if kept healthy so you really want to be sure you can look after it and allow it to thrive for its entire lifetime.

Edit: Link to the mentioned book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2456876.Keeping_And_Breeding_Australian_Pythons

Here's an ideal snake for you. They come in a variety of colours. Children love them.
View attachment 328000
Those may be a choking hazard for children!

These are fun to handle, not sticky and can’t choke on them + they don’t need to eat and you can leave it out of enclosure ALL day and it won’t move!!

86F1BD39-5571-4239-8685-C80FF2DDABD6.jpeg

well i want a living snake not a toy and not food OK. should i get a childrens python or is there a better option

well i want a living snake not a toy and not food OK. should i get a childrens python or is there a better option
I think you should thoroughly research a few species and conditions the snake live in. In the wild and captivity. That way you know exactly what your in for

i have an terrarium that is 90 by 45 by 60 cm with a reptile light, heat lamp and a thermostat.
[doublepost=1573377865,1573377782][/doublepost]pus snakes are not sticky or slimy just saying

i have an terrarium that is 90 by 45 by 60 cm with a reptile light, heat lamp and a thermostat.
Hides n what not ? Do you know feeding schedules and snake behaviour and the requirements for the species you choose

Children's Pythons are part of the Antaresia genus ('family'). There are three species in this group which would be equally suitable (Children's, Spotted and Stimson's). These are all very similar in terms of care, similar in size (Spotteds are slightly larger but still small snakes) and the main differences are colours, patterns and prices.

One of these three is definitely going to be your best choice. Anything else will be much larger and/or more difficult to keep, and the alternatives still need to be fed rats, mice or chickens (the ones which will be suitable to feed chickens are much larger).

The closest things to Garter Snakes in Australia are tricker to keep and generally get fed live fish. Definitely not something you want to start with (Garter Snakes themselves aren't idea first snakes).

Snakes aren't friendly, cuddly animals like cats, dogs and rats. They're fascinating and beautiful, but they are predatory and can't be fed a disguised diet like tinned cat feed or dog biscuits. If the idea of being honest with yourself and the reality that you have a predatory animal as a pet is unappealing, please don't get a snake. If you want to admire the beauty of a unique animal and embrace what it is, then you may enjoy a pet snake. Keep in mind that a kitten with probably bite you, a puppy will probably bite you, and a snake will probably bite you at some stage too. It won't hurt anywhere near as much as a dog or cat bite and won't have the same risk of infection, but it sounds like this may scare you.

Perhaps it's worth asking you why you want a snake rather than a dog, ferret, rat, budgie, fish or pot plant. There are plenty of good answers but they don't apply to everyone. If someone says they don't want to feed off dead rats, it suggests they may be better suited to something else.

Ok thanks for the info im now fine with feeding dead rats and mice but we have lots of the sometimes said "normal"pets and the only reptiles we own is a bearded dragon and three turtles and what is the smallest out of the trio of antaresia and the cheapest?
[doublepost=1573450436,1573450229][/doublepost]and i want a snake because their cool nice maybe not the brightest creatures there interesting and unique animals that hunt effectively and im ok if i get bitten because i want to get bitten by a lot of animals and to be able to see how painful it is compared to others.

Ok thanks for the info im now fine with feeding dead rats and mice but we have lots of the sometimes said "normal"pets and the only reptiles we own is a bearded dragon and three turtles and what is the smallest out of the trio of antaresia and the cheapest?
[doublepost=1573450436,1573450229][/doublepost]and i want a snake because their cool nice maybe not the brightest creatures there interesting and unique animals that hunt effectively and im ok if i get bitten because i want to get bitten by a lot of animals and to be able to see how painful it is compared to others.
The Pygmy python is the smallest Antaresia

The Pygmy Python, Antaresia perthensis is the smallest of the Antaresia and also the world's smallest python (some may argue the Pygmy Banded Stimson's is smaller, they may be right). These probably aren't the best choice for your first snake though, and you say you want something cheap; these aren't cheapest.

Children's and Stimson's are the same size. The price for a cheap type of either is trivial. You'll be able to pick up a cheap one of either for under $100 if you shop around, but looking for the absolute cheapest you can find is often a good way to buy a problem.

...if you goal is simply to be bitten you may want to rethink your decision. Get bitten by a snake if it's on your bucket list but buying a pet just so it can bite you seems... odd to say the least and while I don't really care about you, I'm not that fond of the idea of a snake being kept just as a biting tool and am dubious of how how a priority it will be after the novelty of it biting you wears off.

Honestly you come across as someone who probably shouldn't have a pet snake... or animal.

like i dont just want to have it to bite me i just want to have a snake simply just for a nother addition to the family and i personally think their cool btw is gumtree my best way?

like i dont just want to have it to bite me i just want to have a snake simply just for a nother addition to the family and i personally think their cool btw is gumtree my best way?
Best way to get a sick/stolen/wild caught animal

Best way is to look on Facebook for local breeders to you

I thought you’ve done your research? That’s what you said

Latest posts

Back